Donate now to help us fight the assault on our rights
In a democratic society people must be able to hold the powerful accountable for their actions. But the Government is attempting to put itself – and all future governments – beyond the reach of the law.
Those in power are trying to cut off important avenues of accountability:
- In Parliament – the Government is making a habit of sidelining our elected MPs and hiding from scrutiny when making laws, by giving our representatives insufficient time to debate proposals, and even putting hundreds of coronavirus regulations in place with no input from MPs at all.
- In the courts – the Government’s Judicial Review and Courts Bill will make it harder for people to challenge unjust laws, policies and public authority decisions in court. And the Government has vowed to 'overhaul' the Human Rights Act.
- On the streets – the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill, which has sparked months of ‘Kill the Bill’ demonstrations across the country, is an attack on people’s right to protest. The ability to stand up to power by taking to the streets and making your voice heard is essential to a functioning democracy.
- At the ballot box – the Government’s Elections Bill could bring in mandatory voter ID which could strip hundreds of thousands of people of their right to vote.
We’re using every tool at our disposal to stop this democratic crisis in its tracks, but we can’t do it without you.
We need to raise £15,000, which we will use in the following ways:
- £5000 will be spent on exposing this undemocratic plan. We know this Government u-turns time and again under public pressure. Right now, it’s trying to hide its agenda in the technical wording of Bills going through Parliament. We want to make sure the public is fully aware of this scandal and empower people to challenge it.
- £5000 will go to our Advice and Information Service to better support people to stand up to power and safely exercise their fundamental right to protest.
- £5000 will help us campaign to win the argument in Parliament. Our wider campaigning work and detailed policy briefings on the importance of keeping the powerful in check will help us convince our elected MPs to fight the Government’s attempts to hide from accountability.
A donation of whatever you can afford today will help us in the fight to stop the present and all future governments becoming untouchable.