We are raising money to elect a Green representative for Portsmouth. We need funds to pay for the deposit and for election materials. The snap general election is in just over 6 weeks, on June 8, so we don't have much time!
It costs £1000 to put up a candidate in both constituencies - Portsmouth North and Portsmouth South - and it can cost as much to print a single newsletter for just one constituency, or over £200 to cover just a single ward.
The Green Party are not funded by big business or millionaires, so we are looking for you to support our candidates to stand in the city and inform residents that they have a choice. We only have a small fraction of the amount the other main parties have to spend on campaigning, so anything you can afford will help to make a real difference. We have an opportunity for a great result here!
We have now selected our candidates for the 2017 general election:
Follow these links to download the candidate profiles for Ian McCulloch and Ken Hawkins .
Our candidates, and the Green Party, stand for:
- Fight for a publicly funded, publicly provided health service free at the point of use.
- End the creeping privatisation of the NHS and repeal the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- Make mental health a much higher priority with resources to match this status.
- End austerity and restore the public sector, creating over one million good jobs that pay at least a living wage.
- Pay for this with a new wealth tax on the top 1%, a Robin Hood Tax on the banks and the closure of tax loopholes.
- Increase the minimum wage to reach a living wage of £10 an hour by 2020.
- Abolish the cruel and unfair bedroom tax.
- Build 500,000 social rented homes across the country by 2020 and bring empty homes back into use to ensure everyone has access to an affordable place to live.
- Cap rent and introduce longer tenancies to provide greater protection for renters.
- Take serious action on climate change by working with other countries to ensure global temperatures do not rise beyond 2 degrees.
- Phase out fossil-fuel based energy generation and nuclear power.
- Invest in a public programme of renewable generation, flood defences and building insulation.
- Scrap university tuition fees.
- Promote a comprehensive system of local schools offering mixed ability teaching staffed by qualified teachers.
- Bring Academies and Free Schools into the Local Authority system.
- Return the railways to public hands to stop profits being put before passengers.
- Introduce an immediate cut in fares of 10% to give passengers a much-needed financial break.
- Promote walking and cycling to help reduce pollution and improve people’s health.
Thank you for any contribution that you can afford to help make this a reality!
If you pledge £500 or over, you must be on the electoral register - this is a requirement of donating to a political party. And you'll need to be on it to vote - so register here if you're not. You must also be willing to provide us with your contact details and address. This is required by the Electoral Commision.
By making a donation you confirm that you are eligible to make political donations in the UK, and that this donation is not made for or on behalf of any other person. All donations received are subject to the regulations of the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.
However much you donate, if you don't want your name tweeted, Facebooked or whatever, let us know.
Published and promoted by and on behalf of the The Portsmouth Green Party, 34 Fordingbridge Road, Portsmouth, PO4 9JW. Hosted by Crowdfunder.