- A colleague with diabetes and unable to lose weight.
- An uncle struggling to fully recover after a heart attack.
- A friend experiencing unexplained chronic pain and fatigue.
We all have someone in our lives trying hard to make lifestyle changes to manage a difficult health problem, condition or symptoms. Perhaps it is you?
The GP doesn't understand. Medication doesn’t manage the problem. You’re asked to change your lifestyle. There is no specialist support. You feel isolated & abandoned by the health service. You know you need to improve but don't know how. Change feels impossible.
Often these challenges exacerbate the health condition or can feel worse than the condition itself. In turn, a loss of self-love, self-care and motivation can lead to worse health behaviours and choices.
Health Coaching is the missing puzzle piece for those who have experienced any of the above.
Research indicates Health Coaching has a significantly positive impact to lives of people who are trying - but unfortunately struggling - to make changes.
While Health Coaching can appear in small glimpses of conversation with healthcare professionals, it is not a service provided on its own and I believe it should be.
Health Coaching is:
- Evidence based, skilful conversation
- providing specific tools, techniques and strategies to achieve behaviour change
- Builds resilience, confidence and motivation required for long term change
- based on theory and evidence
Why am I passionate about Health Coaching?
I am hugely passionate about giving people the tools they need to improve their quality of life. People deserve to be supported to understand their body, behaviours and choices. They should be armed with techniques to cope, improve and flourish.
I want to be the person to help achieve this!
Not only to benefit the individual, but to reduce spending on public health issues and relieve the demand on NHS resources. We are all going to live a long time, so let's live long in good health!
A little bit about me
I currently hold a Masters (MSc) in Health Psychology where I first learned about Health Coaching. I work in the NHS and have used my learning to shape this idea. I also live with a chronic pain and fatigue disorder. I truly understand the challenges that come with a life long illness.
I ultimately want to turn my years of dreaming, wishing and hoping into a professional service to help people. Person centered, goal orientated, empowering therapeutic service.
Now more than ever, as we see an increase in complex health problems and harder access to care and treatment during Covid-19.
How your donation can help
To get started, I need to achieve a further qualification. In the set up phase, all marketing and advertising I will learn in my own time and work at home. I only need your support for three simple things:
- Funding to undertake the appropriate training course
- A sum of money which allows the service to be offered at a reduced cost for those on low income
- Cover the costs of bringing the service to school age children who are at the early stages of making their own health choices and decisions.
Thank you very much for taking the time to read to the end - I appreciate every page view, share and donation.