Grimethorpe Colliery Band is arguably one of the most famous brass band names in the world and we are pleased to be part of the national initiative launched by Brass Bands England to save the many UK brass bands who are struggling to survive through the COVID-19 pandemic. Please either donate or purchase one of our rewards. Please also share this page to help us to spread the message.
As the effects of Covid -19 continue month after month we are among the many brass bands being hit by the loss of revenue that this causes. Grimethorpe Band do not receive sponsorship and over the past few years 100% of its income has been made through concerts and merchandise sales making us one the busiest brass bands in England. It is likely that by the end of the year we will have lost c£140000 in concert income alone, meaning that once we can continue rehearsing again, we are in danger of not having the funds to allow us to do so. Sadly, we may not be able to perform for our loyal audiences in the future without your help.
Why are we crowdfunding?
Considering our lost revenue this year and the work we have done to hugely reduce our costs over this period, we have identified some priorities that we need help with funding, to allow the band to regain their position among the best in the country. Your donations will contribute to the following:
- We need to make our bandroom Covid- secure and also be able to rent other premises which are large enough in the interim to allow groups of us to meet and rehearse. Outline cost is £5000
- We would like to create more online content and run a youth band event that will allow us to keep working together as a unit while we are still under lockdown or tiered restrictions. This includes the purchase of better recording and editing equipment and coaching to help improve our social media output. Outline cost £5000
- We would like to re-establish the brand of Grimethorpe Colliery Band when we are able to return to theatres. This includes improving our national marketing and refreshing the famous pink shirts! Outline costs £3000
- We need to meet our current stripped down overheads and continue to pay our rent for our bandroom, insurances, leasing costs etc. Outline costs £5000 (for 6 months)
- We would like to add access to digital downloads of our content for our supporters on our website, so that we can continue to sustain contact and generate revenue from our loyal audiences, even if we are no longer able to see them face to face. We can also release new content this way allowing wider access to our recorded material and creating sustainable income for the future. Outline cost £2000
About Grimethorpe Colliery Band
"The brass bands of this country are unique, and the Grimethorpe Band is unique amongst them" - Sir Harrison Birtwistle
Formed in 1917, during the First World War, Grimethorpe Colliery Band is a British institution. National and British Open Champions on numerous occasions, the band’s contest successes remain legendary. These include 16 Brass In Concert Championship titles, 11 times Yorkshire Regional Champions, two English National Championship victories, four times British Open Champions and four times National Champion Brass Band of Great Britain.
Grimethorpe's diverse noted concert performances include those at the FIFA World Cup, BAFTA Awards, BBC Proms, Eurovision and London 2012 Olympic Games Opening Ceremony, together with a wealth of national and international television / radio appearances and professional recordings. The band has been the recipient of two gold discs, as well as a BAFTA nomination for its contributions to the global hit movie “Brassed Off” for which Grimethorpe was the focal point.
“Tompkinson, Postlethwaite and Carter are stand-outs in an impressive ensemble cast, but for many, the brass band music of Grimethorpe comes as the real revelation” - Time Out
The Royal Albert Hall, Symphony Hall, Barbican, Westminster Abbey, European Parliament, Sydney Opera House and more, have all played host to Grimethorpe. With tours to Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, and concerts & festival appearances throughout Europe, the band’s performance reputation remains unsurpassed.
“A thoroughly entertaining show & a must for all music enthusiasts” - The Guardian
In addition to continuing to delight audiences across the globe, Grimethorpe also continues to invest in and support its local community in Grimethorpe, Barnsley and South Yorkshire, particularly through its youth music initiatives and community performances, both locally and on a national scale.
"Grimethorpe Colliery Band - the finest jewel in the world of brass bands, and a unique cultural asset" - Sir Peter Maxwell Davies
About Save Our Brass Bands
Brass bands exist in every corner of the UK, with over 30,000 people of all ages and standards taking part in weekly activity – rehearsing, performing and providing entertainment for their local community.
But we risk losing this forever.
Brass bands saw their main source of income disappear in an instant when they ceased being able to perform in March in response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Months later, we still don’t know when normal performances will be able to take place. A significant loss in income over the Summer months, paired with necessary expenditure needed to make rehearsal spaces Covid compliant means that many brass bands are in a perilous financial situation.
Without urgent support, we could lose our nation’s amazing brass bands. Please help us to make sure they survive this crisis and will be there to be enjoyed by future generations.
Please donate, share this page widely and do what you can to help us to make sure our Brass Bands survive this crisis.