United by a passion and commitment to raise awareness and make sustainable and ethical living easier and more mainstream, we have set up a community interest organisation that aims to do just that in High Barnet. We are about reducing waste, minimising plastic, supporting the High Street, encouraging sustainable and green practices, and making High Barnet a cleaner, greener and better place to live.
We have so many ideas in the pipe-line that we can't wait to get off the ground, including:
- Signing shops up to our BOYB (bring you own bag, container etc) scheme.
- Offering a medium where shops / traders can advertise soon-to-expire fresh produce at a reduced cost to minimise waste
- Adding recycling bins on the High Street and surrounding streets and parks
- Setting up a monthly clothes and other items swap event.
- Installing a community fridge where excess food can be placed to reduce waste
- Building relationships with Barnet College to involve young people in our mission, in particular DT department.
- Building relationships with local primary schools. Offering sustainability workshops. Asking children to help make marketing material to encourage people to keep the streets clean and recycle. Lots more!
- Offer free talks and workshops on sustainability including food, cooking, greener living etc.
- Starting a community allotment
- Building relationships with the fantastic environment centre.
- Ultimate dream: Set up a zero-waste shop!!
And lots more...!
In order to successfully launch this initiative we will need the support of as many residents, traders, shops and local Councillors as possible.
We will also need some funding for things like:
- Marketing material (flyers, posters, social media promotions, flags, banners etc)
- Event material (high vis vests, wristbands etc)
- Potential room / venue hire for talks / workshops etc.
Being run entirely by volunteers we have no financial backing. We are hoping to secure the sponsorship of some local businesses but until then we are hoping to raise some funds via our supporters, especially ahead of the Great High Barnet Spring Clean which is taking place on the 23rd March.Please feel free to email us if you have any questions.
Thank you for your support! :)