The Green Party Chard has been active since October 2018 and secured their first councillor in the May 2019 election. The secret to this success was the hard work of volunteers and consistent engagement with the community.
The £2000 crowdfunding will pay for printing two newsletters and a candidate election flyer.
The aims of the newsletter and flyer are:
- to publicise the Green Party candidate for election to the Somerset County Council. Once elected, they will promote the New Green Deal and the values and policies of the Green Party
- to expand Green Party membership and engage more Green Community Volunteers
- to educate and inspire Chard residents to take action for a greener Chard.
Your donation enables the Green Party Chard to compete with the larger Political parties. With a bigger budget, the competing parties leaflet heavily and, although the Green party Chard enjoy greater visibility through their active community roles, it is important to reinforce Green messages with paper correspondence.
Currently, engagement is through social media and Green Party Chard events such as litter picking, tree planting, recycling support to individuals or businesses and promoting and supporting The Lord’s Larder (the Chard food bank). Previous paper newsletters, funded through donation, have been effective in engaging with sections of the community who do not use social media.
The Green Party Chard has already contributed to the town in these ways:
- Helped to set up and vice-chaired the Covid 19 Support Group
- Contacted every Chard business to discuss and advise on reducing carbon
- Engaging 6 plastic-free business champions
- Organising quarterly litter picks
- Playing an integral role in setting up Carbon Neutral Chard and Chard Town Council declaring a Climate Emergency
- Planted and regularly maintained 800 trees with plans to increase this number.
With additional Green Party Councillor's at County level we can do more to help the local communities of Chard and South Somerset.