SUCCESS STORY OF SPECIAL OLYMPICS SANDWELL SWIMMERS !
Special Olympics Sandwell offers a variety of sporting opportunities to people of all ages with a Learning / Intellectual Disability. Swimming is just one of our sports which is very popular and is of real benefit to those attending. So we wish to deliver weekly swimming sessions at West Bromwich Leisure Centre.
We need funding to hire lanes of the Swimming Pool along with Qualified Swimming Teachers who are experienced in working with people with Learning Disabilities. Weekly training is important to practice & improve their swimming strokes & to build up stamina as well as increasing confidence.
Sandwell is just one branch in the West Midlands so we get invited to enter Annual Swimming Galas across the West Midlands and further afield. the swimmers really enjoy these events - an opportunity to compete with a friendly atmosphere and an exciting Opening Ceremony and swimmers march around the pool side to lots of loud applause!
So our Sandwell swimmers need to practice their timed swims to achieve their best times as individuals.and also in their Relay Races. Everyone gets a fair chance to race as they are banded by times and it is very exciting to watch the Galas.
Winnng their race is a real achievement & everyone is awarded a Medal - Gold Silver or Bronze Medal or a Ribbon for runner up places
Relay Races.involve training & working together as a team of 4 swimmers and it is very exctiting to watch. All 4 swimmers are awarded a medal or ribbon. Both our female & male relay team were delighted to win a medal at this Gala. Well done !
We would like to purchase swimmers new individual 'Tea bag ' Tee Shirts which are made of specialist Fabric suitable for the swimming pool environment,. The swimmers would like to have their team logo on the front of the shirt and their Team Name SANDWELL on the back.
Swimmers will be so proud to wear their Team shirt when they go to the
start of their races and moreover after the race to stand on the Medal Rostrum to collect their medal or Ribbon. Wearing matching Team kit helps to identify the swimmers as part of SANDWELL but it also gives them a real feeling of 'belonging' to their team.
We also like to reward their achievements by presenting them with a swimming Medal for their efforts at our Annual presentation of Awards evening. there is a Trophy for the 'Best in Season' swimmer & also one for the 'Most Improved ' swimmer !
Special Olympics Sandwell felt very honoured to be winners of the Black Country Community Sports and Physical Activity Club of the Year 2018 & runners up for the BBC Sports Awards.
We are so grateful to our hardworking volunteers who support our Club & they were delighted to receive this presstigious Certificate & Glass Trophy.
The swimmers have a great deal of fun at both training and Competitions.
Here are the youngest members of our team & their cute Swimming Mascot !
Wow ! Wonderful ! We have 10 people who have pledged already ! Moreoever Special Olympics Sandwell have received some wonderful heartwarming comments from our first group of supporters who know some of the team members:-
- The Pofessional Photographer who took the cover ' Swimming Splash ' Action snap tells us "of course I'd be happy for you to use the images for the appeal. I'm glad they have been useful for you. Good luck to the team! Best regards "
- Another Facebook friend viewing this photo commented " What a Lovely photo ! "
- The first person to comment on our project on Facebook, especially the photographs, is a young lady who is friends with our team and encourages her friends by telling them “Go for it for the Gold”
- A proud sister who has helped to train all our swimmers states “These wonderful swimmers deserve the whole world & more ????”
- Another proud sister of one of our new swimmers who is beoming much more confident says “My brother swims for them xxxxx”
- A proud Aunty who has shared the excitement when spectating at the Swimming Galas explains “So very happy to support ‘Go for Gold’. I’ve had the honour to support my special niece and her team mates at a few events. I look forward to seeing you all In your new t-shirts ???? “
- A family member of a swimmer who has been a Sandwell member for over 30 years says “A great cause! Very happy to help. "
- Friends of the family members who have pledged added
- “I’m supporting this because it is such a worthwhile cause.”
- and also "Good luck to you all."
- A n emotionally moving heartfelt comment came from a daughter in memory of her mother says "Donation made on behalf of my Mum who would have been so proud of what they've acheived. ..she spent over 30 years teaching special needs children some of whom have gone on to compete in the Special Olympics.
- Many thanks for these kind comments which are really so lovely to receive..... more comments to follow soon.
Please help our Sandwell Swimmers to 'GO FOR GOLD ! '
Our Special Olympics Motto is :-
' Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt. '