This investment aims to help community sport and physical activity groups crowdfunding for capital (building or refurbishment) works that will enhance places and spaces within their local area, to unite communities as part of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Our match investment, of up to £10,000, is for organisations based within the West Midlands region primarily, to help create or improve community sport facilities that will help to bring communities together and celebrate the Commonwealth Games.
Projects should be driven by the community, for the community, to improve what is available and enable more people to be physically active.
This match investment of National Lottery money is designed to help you to deliver a successful rewards-based crowdfunding campaign, which we know has far wider reaching benefits than just the financial fundraise.
Priority will be given to projects that are in the most deprived communities to ensure that our match investment reaches those most in need. This will be organisations that do one or both of the following:
We will still support projects which do not meet these priorities, however we may reduce the level of match funding offered. Match funding will usually be in the range of 30-50% of the project target.
There are some things that we’re not able to match invest against, these primarily being:
If your application is approved, you’ll get a match funding offer of up to 50% towards your initial crowdfunding target, up to a maximum of £10,000. This offer will be valid for 4 weeks after the date of notification, if you do not launch your crowdfunding campaign within 4 weeks of notification the offer will be rescinded.
Following approval for funding, if you wish to make any changes to your campaign target or any significant changes to your rewards or other page content, you must notify us.
To receive a pledge, you will need to do two things (the ‘pledge conditions’):
1) raise at least 25% of your initial target,
2) raise this from a minimum number of unique Supporters. To verify whether Supporters are unique we will take account of information including, but not limited to: name, address, email addresses and payment card used.
The minimum number of unique Supporters required is:
If either of these conditions are not met, the pledge will be withheld until both have been met.
If these two conditions are met, Sport England will pledge 50% of your target (unless your target is over £20,000), which means your campaign will then be at 75%. You must then raise the remaining 25% from your crowd, to achieve 100% of your funding target and receive the Sport England funds.
If the project fails to reach 100% of the target the Sport England pledge will be cancelled. The Project owner will be encouraged to review what went wrong and, if appropriate, to attempt to crowdfund again.
Sport England reserve the right to vary these pledge criteria; projects will be notified if their pledge criteria will vary from the stated terms above.
You will be ineligible for funding from Sport England if, at Sport England’s sole discretion, it is not satisfied that all the Supporter pledges on your project are genuine pledges.
Project Owners or the campaigning organisation pledging to their own campaign is allowed, however this should not be a significant amount unless discussed with Sport England before the pledge is added. Small offline donations that have been collected may also be added, however you may be required to evidence the origin of these pledges (receipts, letters of support, copies of cheques or bank statements etc.)
Where projects or pledges are identified as fraudulent, potentially fraudulent or demonstrative of manipulating the pledging on a project in order to obtain match funding, this is taken very seriously. Where appropriate, the police or other relevant authorities will be informed. In addition:
All funded projects are required to agree to the Places and Spaces Grant Conditions.
You should download and retain a copy of this document and the Grant Conditions.