Factchecked: the snap election of 2017
Boy, were we busy during this election. Here's the summary of what our team, backed by all 1,920 donors achieved together:
- Overall, we published 100 new factchecks and explainers in the 8 weeks after the snap election announcement, including factchecking the viral stories like the NHS video, "Garden Tax", Naylor review, "Dementia Tax" and lots of infographics.
- We factchecked the Conservative, Labour, Liberal Democrat, SNP, UKIP and Green manifesto launches.
- We live factchecked seven different multi-party leader debates, including three with ITV News, the BBC Victoria Derbyshire show, and BBC Wales.
- We made 18 factual videos which together racked up 2 million view
- We were in or on: ITV News, BBC Breakfast, BBC Radio 5 Live, Reuters TV, Sky News, BBC General News Service, the Telegraph, the i, Metro Online, the London Evening Standard, Press Association, Mail Online, the Guardian, the Times, Vice, Wired, the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, Mashable UK, Dazed, Yahoo News, Buzzfeed and many others.
- On Facebook 18.5 million people saw our factchecks, and 7.8 million people engaged with them
- On Twitter 9.8 million people saw our factchecks.
- We held two Facebook Live Q&A sessions with the country's leading experts to answer your questions on Brexit, Immigration, Health and the Economy.
- With First Draft, we brought verification and factchecking together in the same office for the first time!
- We partnered with expert organisations including the Institute for Fiscal Studies, the Nuffield Trust, the National Foundation for Educational Research, and the Migration Observatory at Oxford University.
- We raised £100,263 from 1920 supporters through our crowdfunding campaign.
- We grew our team of 11 to 30 for the election, including hosting statisticians and specialist researchers as secondees who had deep subject knowledge in each area.
- We built automated factchecking tools that were used live during the election.
All this work was supported by you, one of our 1920 donors who gave to our crowdfunding campaign, and by the Nuffield Foundation who awarded Full Fact a grant to ensure #GE2017 “is informed by independent and rigorous evidence”.
There's a lot more. Get the full account of how we factchecked the snap election of 2017.
There are no comments on this update yet.