WE EXIST to support others to create the change they see needed in communities. We know people are the key to making a difference and they have great solutions to address social, environmental and community issues.
WE AIM to give Women Changemakers a voice and influence to create positive change in their communities, whilst address gender imbalances and increase their economic independence.
WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT & INVESTMENT to create:
A cash investment fund to help even more women changemakers tackle inequalities and social issues
-To date we have raised over £16,000.00 which we have invested in over 30 women and directly supported over 300.
Peer learning events and connection building to help boost people's knowledge, skills. confidence and contacts to create the change they see needed
-To date we have held over 35 events reaching out to over 350 to support them. We see new people at every event and the demand for this free support, led by experts by experience is growing in demand.
A 12 hour Mentoring Marathon and mentor brokerage programme, for Women Changemakers
We can develop and grow our diverse pool of relevant, empathetic, knowledgable mentors who can help women make progress and gain wider support from women, who have been there and bought the #BuySocial T-shirt when it comes to developing social ventures
A Women Changemaker Festival
We believe women are key to sustainable social change for the future, yet much of their work can go under the radar. Building on this centenary year for some women gaining the right to vote, we aim to create a range of legacy events in 2018/2019 that showcase the voices, innovations, impacts and enterprises of Women Changemakers on the map - Highlighting Greater Manchester and the North West as a leading place globally for Women Changemakers to Flourish
50% of monies raised will create a cash awards pot, 25% will contribute towards the Women Changemaker festival and 25% will aid with network development including peer learning events and our Mentoring Marathon and mentoring programme
WHY ARE WE WORTH SUPPORTING?
We have a Track Record:
- 34 women have received a cash investment to support their personal development and social venture growth decided via a diverse group of Women Changemakers across three 12 hour mentoring marathons over the last 3 years
- 350 women have attended our peer learning activities over the last 2 years with a core group of 150 women who have attended 2 or more events, from the 35 peer learning events held to date
- 65 mentoring relationships have been brokered offering approximately 12 hours of sounding board support each to Women Changemakers helping them to access to connections and opportunities and a route to developing fast track knowledge
- Over 2000 hours of volunteer time have been racked up through event co-ordination, mentoring and peer learning training sessions
- We know crowdfunding works and in order to create independence and autonomy we have built an annual campaign into our strategy to enable others to 'Pay it forward' in return for free, accessible peer learning events and mentoring. We have successfully managed and distributed 3 crowdfund campaigns.
We can reach the parts that others can't!
- Our network is highly diverse in terms of age, background, ethnicity, sexual orientation, geography and sector in which people are creating positive social change
- Built on trusted connections, expertise, empathy and a will to want to see other succeed, we can create wrap around support tailored to individual needs in a way that only community led support can
You can track our progress and the progress of the Women Changemakers we support to see where your money went……
- Follow us on Twitter @FlourishCIC or Facebook for regular updates
- See our Crowdfunder comments page to follow our journey and post your own messages
- Come to our Free peer learning events - see for yourself and directly benefit
- Come to our Women Changemaker Festival and help us co-create it!
What kinds of women and initiatives will your investment support?...
Lucy Cooke and Roxanna Locke – Commonplace Events benefited from a sounding board and investment day enabling them to access mentoring and bid writing support which helped secure lottery funding to develop their social venture “The support from Flourish has helped us develop both our knowledge, practical skills and confidence and offered a trusted network of contacts who we are now collaborating with to develop new community services and activities, to meet local need via our collaborative mobile community events space housed in a double decker bus."
Geraldine Esdaille, Freedom to Be benefited from the Mentor-a-thon and secured £300 to invest in herself and her developing social venture. "This year I have seen spectacular benefits from the support and mentoring that I have received. As well as continuing to provide regular sessions helping women with domestic violence and abuse issues, I started working for The Women's Resource Centre, an amazing organisation in the women's sector. I am also really proud to have won a Winston Churchill Travelling Fellowship that provides a remarkable opportunity to travel to the USA and research what I am passionate about, and to top it all off, I have been shortlisted for the Northern Power Women Awards 2017, it's incredible!"
Corin Bell, Director of Real Junk Food Mcr benefited from a Flourish sounding board and investment day and was able to access to peer learning events to support the development of her social venture. Flourish were also one of Real Junk Food Mcr's early customers enabling them to build their trading track record and income. “The sounding board session I had was really useful. I was able to access a great pool of experience and knowledge and ask for really specific support with issues that my social enterprise was struggling with. The Flourish network has also helped us to develop and promote our Crowdfunder campaign, which went on to be a great success. I have since been into Flourish sessions to share our learning with network members thinking of attempting a Crowdfunder for the first time. The whole system has a wonderful momentum, and those who benefit seem to stay really involved and help others.”
Jo Taylor, ABCDiagnosis attended the Mentor-a-thon and received £300 of investment and a mentor. In spite of living with secondary breast cancer she runs an advisory and advocacy social venture helping people be better aware of the needs of those living with cancer and secondary cancer. "The support I've had so far, has helped me make useful connections, paid for some marketing materials and I'm in the process of securing further funding from a charitable trust to hold up to 4 residential retreats per year, as well as develop day sessions for local patients living with cancer".
Nikky Norton Shaffau, Becoming Storybook was awarded £300 and has received mentoring support to develop her work and future focus. She used the money to pilot a series of creative storytelling workshops for adults seeking adventures and wanting to awaken their imagination for work or pleasure. “The Mentor - a - thon was a great opportunity to talk out my idea and gain honest feedback. The offer of a mentor and seed funds to buy materials and equipment to pilot my services successfully with my first client gave me confidence. Flourish CIC continues to be a support as I prepare to launch an enterprise that I hope to benefit both the local and global community.”
Karen Morris, Music Smile was supported via the Mentor –a- thon in and secured £300 and mentoring support. Karen has overcome her own disabilities to start running regular workshops, teaching music to communities in Salford to use music as a tool for positive wellbeing. "The support I've received has helped me make useful connections, paid for some marketing & equipment to help develop Music Smile and I've recently secured further funding from a national charitable trust".
PLEASE DIG DEEP & INVEST!
We've an ambitious target this year to help us support more women developing initiatives with real impact who need this support to start well, thrive and scale their work. PLEASE HELP US, help them to create change! Whether £5, £50 or £500 any investment will make a difference - plus if you are interested in mentoring or being a judge on the investment panel get in touch! You can follow the campaign @FlourishCIC .
Want to get further involved?
There are loads of opportunities for you to get involved with the network as we move forward.
Look out as we expand on these opportunities over the coming weeks! To get in contact email email@example.com
- Do you need support with an idea?
- Are you interested in becoming a mentor to women changemakers?
- Can you help with planning and marketing?
- Are you able to offer in kind support, such as venue space?
- Are you willing to wear a mascot suit and run around the city centre?? (Only joking.)