Falkland Cricket Club Trust started as a village cricket club in 1884 and in the last 20 years has seen a dramatic transformation from a gentlemen’s cricket club to a ‘heart of the community’ sports ground where the club has a huge junior and girls’ membership and a thriving senior section.
- 75 children aged 5-8 years old registered for the club's All Stars scheme
- In addition, there are 120 boys in teams from Under 9 to Under 17
- We have 90 girls in four teams (with three girls' teams playing in ‘boys’ Berkshire Youth League)
- A ladies softball team was established which trains weekly, both summer and winter, and participates competitively
- The 4 senior teams continue to flourish with the first team well established in Thames Valley Cricket League - Division 1, and many juniors progressing to senior cricket through the Development XI team.
- Twenty adults participate regularly in Disability Cricket sessions which run weekly, as well as for local SEN schools.
- A new ‘Old Stars’ programme has been set up to encourage over 60’s into the game with walking cricket and walking football which is run in association with U3A and Parkinsons Society
- The club hosts Berkshire County cricket matches, and junior district and county matches.
Monday night is training for the junior boys teams whilst Friday night has become 'club night' for the girls and women’s teams with the cricketers training on the pitch whilst 50-100 parents help out or socialise in a beautiful environment which resembles a scene from a traditional village green. The club sits on the English Civil War site of the 1643 Battle of Newbury, which is overseen by Historic England.
The pavilion being used to host all of this activity has been condemned and a replacement is well on the way to being built. The original pavilion was built in the 1970s and features only 2 small communal changing rooms, only one very old communal shower facility, no proper heating and does not meet ECB standards such as separate changing facilities for the increasing number of girls and ladies playing the game, access to disabled facilities etc.
This is where WE NEED YOUR HELP! The total needed to build the new pavilion is £1.2 million, and we have raised most of that already and construction is underway. However, we need the final £50,000 otherwise we can’t finish the building works! We have put so much effort already into trying to provide a sustainable resource for the future of our community, but we need your help to complete it. Please consider ‘Buying a Brick’ and your support will be recognised by the club and future generations- please have a look at the options.
The club prides itself on being at the heart of the community, offering an all year-round facility so that the community areas, bar and changing rooms can be used by groups such as the parish church, local schools, drama & music groups, Ramblers, motorcycle and cycle clubs and the local Parkinson's and Samaritans societies as a community asset.
Please do anything you can to help us make this happen and choose to add Gift Aid when you donate.
Falkland Cricket Club