What is Extraqueericular?
Extraqueericular.com is a social enterprise that exists to improve the lives of the LGBTQ+ community worldwide. Extraqueericular.com aims to solve a problem that many in the community experience: LGBTQ-friendly spaces and events can be difficult and cumbersome to find when traveling or relocating to unfamiliar areas. So we developed an online, community-driven marketplace enabling the LGBTQ+ community & allies to buy and sell LGBTQ-friendly accommodation, event tickets, and services. Think Eventbrite meets Airbnb for the LGBTQ-community and allies. We've developed the minimum viable product and are currently beta testing it in London with the aim to expand to other countries.
As a social enterprise, a percentage of profits are dedicated to initiatives that further our social mission, which is to support Non-governmental Organisations (NGO), charities, and community groups that are advocating for the rights of and providing wellbeing services to the LGBTQ+ community in countries that enforce anti-LGBTQ laws.
Currently, 35 countries in the Commonwealth have anti-LGBT laws on their books. Our dream is to live in a world where no one is targeted by the legal system because of who they are or who they love. You can help us make this a reality sooner.
There are several rewards for you to choose from.
Why does Extraqueericular exist?
Extraqueericular was founded on the belief that one should always be able to find safer spaces and be who they are. The idea for Extraqueericular came when we were looking for LGBTQ-friendly spaces while traveling. Much of the information we found was outdated and we had to search across multiple websites to find what we needed. In some areas where we were visiting, it was not safe to be out, so information was much harder to come by. We thought it would be great to have a website with up-to-date information about things LGBTQ+ travellers typically look for while using profits to make a difference in the lives of people who live under unjust, anti-LGBT laws.
The need for safer spaces for the LGBT community is well documented. However, these spaces are closing at a steady pace. Broadly even filmed a documentary about the disappearing lesbian bars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JePugX1YkG4). Faced with the decline of safe spaces, Extraqueericular seeks to explore other ways of connecting.
What will the funds be used for?
Funds raised will go toward launching our new Safer Spaces Pop-up initiative and making key hires to help us take Extraqueericular to the next level.
Safer Spaces Pop-up
In summer of 2019 we are launching the Safer Spaces Pop-up. Safer Spaces Pop-up is a travelling event that takes place every month in cities around the UK, with the future goal of expanding to other countries. The Safer Spaces Pop-up will take place in under-utilised and non-traditional spaces and take on various formats such as social events, wellness sessions, open mics, co-working sessions, workshops, and board game nights to name a few.
People are the most important part of Extraqueericular. You can help us make our first full-time hires with your donation. We were fortunate to be able to undertake the development of the online platform ourselves, which saved us between £5,000 and £12,000 in web development costs. However, we need other skills on board to take this to the next level. We will use the funds to hire for the following roles:
- Marketing Manager - to help us effectively spread the word about Extraqueericular and our initiatives
- Mission Director - to manage our social mission initiatives and monitor impact
- Web Developer - to maintain the online platform and add new features (i.e. language translation, currency conversion, etc)
If you’re interested in any of the above roles, please get in touch! We'd love to hear from you!
Other ways of contributing
We appreciate contributions in all of its forms. Here are some other ways you can help:
- Create a listing on https://extraqueericular.com/ and share the link to your listing on your social media page - add your spare room and become a host, add that freelance service you do (photography, life coaching, dog sitting…), add any events you organise. The more listings the better!
- It would be a huge help if you joined our beta testing programme and let us know how we can improve and what features you would like to see. If something is broken, please DM us on Twitter @xtraqueericular
- If you’re skilled at outreach, marketing, web or app development, PR, social media, or know someone who is, let’s talk! As funding becomes available we will be hiring in these areas and it’s never too early to start a conversation.
- We’d love to partner with other organisations doing good work in the LGBTQ+ community. Please get in touch if we can bring something to the table for your project. Have a look at our services page for more information and check out our Community Hours initiative: https://extraqueericular.com/pages/our_services
- Please spread the word! Ask your friend who does odd gigs to offer services on Extraqueericular. Ask the bar you go to that does a bingo night to put their event on Extraqueericular. Ask your friend who rents their spare room on Airbnb to put it on Extraqueericular, too. It’s a big help!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
There are several rewards for you to choose from. Thank you for your support!