This summer and autumn in 2019, Eliot Smith Dance (ESD), based in Newcastle upon Tyne, led by its Artistic Director Eliot Smith, will undertake its most ambitious and diverse projects in this - its 8th Anniversary.
ESD hope to raise £8,000 to provide a spectrum of diverse and exciting projects to celebrate the best of Eliot Smith Dance in this, its 8th anniversary year. We are eligible for a 50% match from the Community Foundation Tyne & Wear, but in order to acquire this funding we must secure £4,000 from our supporters and the public.
The artistic choices include:
1. Provide education outreach within nine schools, three colleges and the widespread community in Newcastle, Gateshead and Northumberland. Grouping young people’s work together.
2. Development of YES! – a boys youth dance group for boys aged 12-16 years old from across the North East.
3. Provide an opportunity for 20 community dancers to be part of an adaptation of Eliot Smith’s new dance work ‘On Red Kites’, inspired by one of Britain’s rarest and most spectacular birds, – the Red Kite. Helps ESD to work with local schools and community groups to create curtain raisers (opening community works) for ESD performances in 2019.
4. A new work created by Artistic Director, Eliot Smith, in collaboration with ‘The Friends of Red Kites’ and The Royal Northern Sinfonia core leader Kyra Humphreys.
5. A new dance solo created on Eliot Smith by Jake Deibert, Company Dancer of Paul Taylor American Dance Theatre 2.
6. A new dance trio created on ESD Dancers by the acclaimed Kathak & Contemporary dance choreographer, Balbir Singh.
7. In collaboration with The Oscar Romero Trust, Eliot Smith will create one new section with ESD Company dancers, based upon the life of Oscar Romero, who spoke out against poverty, social injustice, assassinations, and torture.
8. Performances at the: Cathedral Churches of: St. Mary’s in Newcastle upon Tyne; Farm Street Church in London; Church of the Sacred Heart in Edinburgh, and at Sage Gateshead.
With your support we can make this a year to remember for all our communities across the region.
Please pledge your support and encourage your friends to support us too. We have some amazing limited-edition rewards in exchange for your pledges! Don’t forget there will be daily work in progress studio showings, open rehearsals and conversations with the artists, in Newcastle and Northumberland, available to our crowd-funders.
Please visit www.eliotsmithdance.com/about to view more about the Company.
Eliot Smith Dance
(Photo: Eliot Smith and ESD Dancers in his work 'IN PLAIN MOVEMENT' at The Bowes Museum, January 2019)
(Photo: ESD Dancers in Eliot Smith's work 'PITMAN' at Woodhorn Museum, July 2018)