We aim to ensure RSHE teaching reflects Catholic parents beliefs and values
Why act now?
In the light of the Covid 19 Pandemic, the DfE has extended the deadline for implementation of compulsory RSHE from September 2020 until April 2021.
By law all schools across England must teach Relationships Education at primary level and Relationships and Sex Education at secondary level.
These topics are an important part of a young person's development, but within Catholic education, lessons need to be delivered not just with care and compassion but also taught in line with Catholic values and beliefs
Many teachers will find themselves teaching a sensitive subject which they are unfamiliar with, tackling big subjects and navigating through tricky questions. It is no secret that there is a shortage of Catholic and Christian teaching staff, so many non-Catholic and non-Christian teachers will be delivering these lessons to Catholic and Christian children. That’s why our programme supports teachers as well as students, to navigate these subjects in a sensitive way.
What is A Fertile Heart?
A Fertile Heart is a Catholic-based Relationships, Sex and Health Education (RSHE) curriculum that provides:
"An inspiring and dynamic programme for the spiritual, moral, emotional and intellectual development of young people, that enables them to fully appreciate and understand what makes life-enriching relationships.”
How can you help?
Our initial goal is to ensure that every catholic school in the UK and later internationally, benefits from access to A Fertile Heart, a purpose-designed and high-quality RSHE curriculum built around the values and beliefs of Catholic and Christian families.
We can only achieve this goal with your help!
You can support our campaign by making a donation via the link at the top right of this page or taking advantage of our exciting rewards.
Our rewards include things such as limited edition hoodies (see below), cotton t-shirts, and ceramic mugs right through to individual A Fertile Heart resource packs for use in home education or larger resource packs designed for use in primary and secondary school settings.
For businesses, we have developed a series of fantastic sponsorship based rewards and options to procure A Fertile Heart resources for your favourite local school.
Details of all of the rewards available are shown to the right of this page. Every contribution, however small, helps take us one step closer to being able to ensure every child attending a Catholic school receives an RSHE education appropriate to their faith.
What makes A Fertile Heart special?
A Fertile Heart has been developed to offer a caring solution to teaching the new statutory PSHE curriculum. It covers all of the required topics in a way that adheres to core Catholic & Christian values, ensuring that parents can both feel comfortable with, and have confidence in, how lessons are being delivered.
The programme encourages young people to see beauty differently and understand more clearly the values of human connection, empathy and self-worth.
Through a series of workbooks, lesson plans and guided discussions, A Fertile Heart teaches what it means to be a person and the role we all have within society and with God. Throughout the school years, we teach how to nurture relationships and what true joy is. The content of each lesson has been shaped by the vision and wisdom of Church teachings.
The course provides subject modules for teachers to deliver. From lesson plans and PowerPoint presentations to teacher guidance and textbooks, our comprehensive resources cover Relationships Education for years four to six and Relationships and Sex Education for years seven to eleven. With support available and teaching guides already created, we are well placed to support teachers in delivering this content with confidence. We appreciate the challenges that teachers may face along the way and have anticipated the support that will need in covering the more sensitive topics.
What do parents say?
- "A Fertile Heart positively emphasizes to children the dignity and goodness of the human body and affirms the value of the whole person. The material has been carefully conceived and produced to a high quality." - Sophie and Mike
- "With this resource, parents can have a lot of confidence that the riches of their Catholic faith will be honoured and, indeed, that their children will gain a full and dynamic understanding of themselves. A Catholic resource that really delivers!" - Patrick and Catherine
- "We really did find that doing the course as a family was wonderfully faith-building, provided good opportunities for discussion and was really thought-provoking" Jeff and Maria
- "I went through all of the Key Stage 2 modules with my son who is in Year 6 during the recent 'lockdown' period, and I found it really useful to sustain his interest in some really important conversations about how he sees himself, the world around him and understanding his purpose in life. I also learnt a lot from the material myself, which is beautifully produced." - Greg
- "I would say that overall the material is very solid and, though some of the concepts are pretty deep, it makes for a richer experience to tackle them and the beauty of the key messages definitely shines through!" - Robert [parent and qualified teacher]
What does the Church say?
The programme helps schools to meet church guidance as well as the statutory aims, covering essential topics, such as self-esteem, tolerance, bullying and temperance.
A Fertile Heart has already won the support of several senior Church leaders including the Archbishop of Cardiff and the Bishops of Shrewsbury and Paisley.
Does it work?
Tried and tested over the last two years, A Fertile Heart has received extremely positive feedback from both teachers and pupils in the 43 primary and 13 secondary schools who have piloted it so far. Those numbers are growing by the day.
The images below let you see some examples of how A Fertile Heart helps schools deal with the most sensitive aspects of RHSE in a manner appropriate to Catholic beliefs and values.
A Fertile Heart offers a tailor-made curriculum from Year 4 to Year 11.
At Year 4 students cover the following:
As children gradually develop, by Year 11 the curriculum has become more adult, however, it remains entirely based within catholic values.
Below you can see some samples of the A Fertile Heart Year 8 student resources which cover some of the more sensitive topics.