Who are we?
is a full-time youth project Charity that started in 1996. Dr Mz was the idea of a group of young people on the Youth Town Council who consulted with the three local schools to ask what the young people wanted in Carmarthen. They wanted somewhere safe to hang out and meet friends and learn new skills and take part in new opportunities.
Dr Mz staff team is dedicated to the cause of creating a safe and stimulating place for young people to meet friends and interact with their community. Our young parents project, "Funky Parents", now called "Little M'z" was originally launched in 2012 to support young parents who felt isolated.
This Project is a development of that project to included cooking skills which is something the young parents have asked for and feel they need.
Our Cook It Project Lead Worker is passionate about working with young people, growing and cooking and about creating less waste.
"I love learning to cook with my little one. She loves to mess about with food and it brings me closer to her! We have lots of fun!" Rhi, aged 21.
What will we do with the funding?
As part of our Grow It - Cook It - Transform It Project we want to help young parents develop skills in cooking so they can pass on these skills to their children.
- This will prepare them for life and help them and their children to stay healthy by being able to cook meals that are within their budget and also have less waste.
- "Mz means Meals" will work with young families to provide the resources and skills needed to share this vision and help them live their lives healthier and within their budget.
- All families participating will receive a multi cooker and regular cooking packs to take away to practice the dishes we make at the centre.
- We will make "vlogs" too so parents can remind themselves of the recipe and method.
- We also aim to get the children helping where they can to make cooking an enjoyable family activity.
Please support our young parents!