This past year has been a busy one for Diane...
- She bought her new home opposite her eldest daughter and her 2 grand-daughters
- She embarked on plans to convert it to a wonderful place for her to make a home and share with her family
- She planned the trip of a lifetime to Mexico for 2 months with her younger daughter, complete with a month's voluntary work
Then it started going pear-shaped...
The building work slowed, communication with her builder became like blood from a stone, her foreign adventure had to be cancelled and finally, the help of a solicitor was needed.
Now, she is left vastly out of pocket, disheartened and without a liveable home.
We've taken it upon ourselves to appeal to all of you to make whatever contribution you can to help get the house from the shell it is now to the home Diane deserves.
What can you do?
- Are you in the building trades? Get in touch and we can find a way to make use of your expertise!
- Feeling flush at the moment but no good with a trowel or paintbrush? Any financial aid, big or small, will be vital in making this happen
- Lacking in cash and relevant skills? Share an inspirational quote with us, send us a story about a time Diane has made someone's life better, anything of that nature is great so we can compile them into a cheer-up book for her
For those who don't know Diane, I'd like to give you an introduction as I'm proud to call her my mother for more reasons than one -
In the 30 years I've been alive, she has dedicated her professional life to supporting young people with learning difficulties. She doesn't simply teach a student to read or write or do their sums, she takes an interest in the individual and finds the light in even the most difficult young person. She is fascinated by the human brain and how it works, using her expertise to help them find a means to build their ability, self-esteem and sense of personal pride.
The years we lived in Indiana in the late 80s and early 90s, she wasn't granted a work permit but nonetheless found a way to help. Some of my earliest memories are of the people she supported through the buddy system. This was a simple but hugely important project whereby people like her offered their time and support to people living with HIV and AIDS.
In her personal life, she has always been the calm in the eye of the storm. She has lovingly supported so many people I can't begin to number them. She's acquired 2 pseudo-daughters along the way in the form of my 2 best friends through years of showing them the judgement-free love and compassion that is her nature. She is still in touch with my school-friends thanks to her enthusiasm for their wellbeing and personal development. She has left a trail across the globe, through her 15 years abroad, of people touched by her kindness.
I could carry on but suffice to say she is a rare breed in her refusal to embrace the cynicism the modern world fosters in so many and is deserving of so much more than the hand she has been dealt. We're hoping that through this campaign we can make sure she doesn't lose the open-hearted, trusting nature that makes her so special and restore both hers and our faith in basic human decency.
We haven't included card payments or direct debit payments as the percentage charged is prohibitive but PayPal is safe and easy to use. Feel free to contact us if you have any queries on email@example.com .