The community of West Rainton and Leamside in County Durham are working towards becoming dementia friendly and have established new monthly activity sessions ran by volunteers. So far they have been funded through previous local fundraising and donations. The initiative is driven by a volunteer steering group who’s aim is to raise awareness and understanding across businesses, community groups and organisations from old to young to become an inclusive community.
To continue the great work for 2019 and into 2020 donations are need to go towards:
- Monthly Doors Open, Kettles On dementia friendly activity sessions for all adults and carers to reduce isolation enjoying an activity with others
- Monthly Memory Cafe to explore memory boxes, reduce isolation and bring carers together
- Run open community Dementia Friends Informations Sessions to raise awareness and improve understanding for everyone
- Continue the success of the Domino Tournament into 2020 and host another celebration event
- Continue promotion through the website, posters and leaflets to reach all members of the community
As part of Dementia Action Week 2019 we hope everyone can carry out a small dementia action and support with a donation where possible.