Weʼre raising £10,000 to Deaf Roots and Pride Matching Deaf Role Models to Deaf children so they can believe they can ACHIEVE anything they want to be.
What is the problem?
90% of deaf children are born into hearing families. They are not in contact with anyone who is deaf to show them they can succeed. Deaf children struggle with basic communication with family and friends in everyday conversation missing vital information.
Hearing families with a deaf child needs to meet positive Deaf role models to give them hope for their deaf child's future and get vital information to make decisions that is best for their deaf child.
Why this project is important?
It provides a deaf child/young person and their family to meet a Deaf role model who understand their everyday communication struggles and provide solutions at home, school, hearing clubs, wider family circle. They will also show the family and deaf child that Deaf people can ACHIEVE anything providing hope and inspiration.
How does the project work?
The deaf child/young person will be introduced to a community of other deaf people by meeting positive Deaf role models who will show them their future potential, encouraging a “positive about being deaf” lifestyle.
The deaf child/young person will become aware of the existence of another world in which they can participate in with peers who also understand and share the same experiences as being deaf. They will learn that Deaf adults have the best of both deaf and hearing worlds today.
When Deaf children and young adults complete the project they will:
- Be more inspired and hopeful about their future and be aware of their own potential.
- Be more positive about being a Deaf person during their school years and when they leave school and venture into adulthood.
- Be aware of what is available to them in both the Deaf world and Hearing world and give them choices to make decisions for themselves.
- Made new friends and create their own social circle around their interests.
- Have long lasting connection with other role models who they can turn to in the future for support if they ever need to.
Have a look at this short video clip on above to see what the project has achieved so far.