Over the past two decades, as internet usage has massively increased cybercrime has reached phenomenal levels with an average of 1 in 3 people having been a victim to some form of cybercrime. The global pandemic has further accelerated these levels with cybercriminals looking to capitalise on peoples fear and increased internet usage. Cybercrime now exists in just about every corner of the internet and it can have a devastating effect on its victims. Whilst a lot of cybercrime is conducted for financial gain, it is also used for much darker purposes that can destroy people’s lives. If you have been a victim of cybercrime then you know just how much of a negative impact it can have on your life.
The good news is that becoming a victim of most forms of cybercrime is wholly avoidable if you take the proper precautions and learn about the threats that exist. In principle, it is the same as locking your doors at home or installing a burglar alarm / CCTV system. In fact, you are far more likely to become a victim of cybercrime than having your home broken into.
Unfortunately, the information and support available for home and small business users in relation to online security is somewhat limited with most of the cybersecurity industry focussed on protecting big businesses. Many of the resources available focus on cure rather than prevention.
The purpose of this project is to create a cyber-security business specifically for home and small business users through a membership website containing articles, videos and step-by-step guides on all aspects of online security for the home and small business user. In addition, we will also be offering 1-1 support via direct messaging, live chat and audio / video calls for all cybersecurity areas. Our goal is to help as many people as possible to help keep themselves and their families safe online and to not fall victim to cybercrime. Our business will be based in the UK but our online services will be available worldwide.
What type of content will you provide? Everything you need to know to keep yourself protected. For example:
- Password and account security
- How to use email securely and how to spot fake emails.
- How the various cyber threats work and how to identify them.
- How to keep your children safe online and monitor their activity.
- What security software you should be using and what precautions to take.
- Detailed reviews of various security software products.
- How to use social media safely.
- How to shop online securely.
- How to secure your devices and networks.
- How to use online services safely such as dating.
In addition to our entire content library, all of our members will have access to a checklist of tasks they can complete to setup their online security.
We will be offering free basic content to all visitors whilst charging a small monthly membership fee to access our detailed content and 1-1 support. We will also be covering areas of security that affect other technology such as cars with keyless entry. All of our content will be in a detailed and easy to understand manner.
In order to setup this business and provide our customers with a great experience there are several things we need to purchase.
What we needs the funds for:
- Premises (office) to be able to create our content and offer support.
- Membership website platform that give access our content and allows us to provide support.
- Computing equipment to be able to produce our content, manage our website and provide 1-1 support to our customers.
- Development of an app for mobile users.
- Marketing the business. A big part of our work will be raising awareness of the cyber threats that exist.
We also plan to offer additional services as we expand our business. For example:
- Delivering free presentations on personal and small business cybersecurity (in person and online) to raise awareness of cyber threats.
- Developing free videos designed for children to teach them how to stay safe online.
- Training for small business employees on cyber security.
- 24-hour support via live chat and audio / visual calls.
- Translation of our content into multiple languages.
- Free online community for people to share their own experiences in relation to cyber threats and security (forum).
As a thank you for helping to setup our business, we are offering various rewards in exchange for your donation.
£5 – 2 months of membership to our website and 1-1 support and a 20% discount on future membership for yourself.
£10 – 5 months of membership to our website and 1-1 support and a 30% discount on future membership for yourself.
£20 – 1 year of membership to our website and 1-1 support and a 50% discount of future membership for yourself.
£50 – 2 years of membership to our website, 1-1 support and 15% discount for yourself and anybody that you recommend.
£100 – Lifetime access to our membership website, 1-1 support and 25% discount to anybody that you recommend.
£200 – Lifetime access to our membership website, 1-1 priority support and 50% off membership to anybody you recommend. Also includes free access to any additional services that we add later. Priority support means any communication that you send will be placed at the front of the queue.
What makes me qualified to start this business?
I have been working with computers and technology for over 15 years and have worked in various IT support roles for both home and business users. One of these roles was in the technology centre for a major banking institution. My career has given me a wealth of knowledge on cyber security for home and small business users with the past few years of my career being focussed solely around that area. After realising a huge demand for cyber security help and support with so many people I encounter having fallen victim to cybercrime I decided to setup this business.
When will the business be up and running?
We plan to have our membership website up and running by early September. All rewards will be delivered within the first month of trading via email. We will keep all those who donate informed of our progress.