I’m Lydia and my business is called Creative Stripes Limited, it is going to officially launch in September 2019. I have been a freelance graphic designer (sole trader) working with small and medium sized businesses, helping guide them through their brand strategy, building their branding and logos, designing their marketing collateral and developing their website. I’ve been a full-time freelancer for two and a half years (www.lydiaberman.com) and I’m proud to have built up a great list of amazing clients. I work with businesses to define and refine their creative style, whether that is working on their brand or design projects or offering a design support service to help in everything creative for their business. I manage all the projects myself with carefully selected additional freelancers where additional skills are needed (e.g. developers, illustrators, artworkers etc). I now want to restructure my work and build a business bringing my ideas for additional products and creative services to life.
As a creative designer with 20 years’ experience of branding, marketing and packaging I can help with building design solutions, brand audits and strategies, creative coaching and help businesses see where their marketing and collateral can be strengthened.
Almost all of my current work comes from referrals, and the demand for my skills has grown to the point where being a sole trader working on my own is no longer sustainable: I need to re-structure, expand and step up to being a business owner! I also have clients who can’t afford my services and I want to find a way to help start-ups and small businesses thrive. This is where Creative Stripes comes in! I am currently on The NatWest Accelerator Program, which has been amazing and I have been using the coaching and support to establish the goals and ambitions.
Ok, so what does Creative Stripes actually do?
Over the past two and a half years I have worked on over 500 projects, for more than 70 clients and I want to start the new business with stronger foundations and a clear structure in the new business alongside offering exciting new services.
Creative Stripes is aimed at start-up, small-medium sized businesses and entrepreneurs who may not have the in-house resource or funds to have creative direction, brand and design support.
Creative Stripes offers:
- Creative design services covering branding and logos, marketing and packaging design as well as websites, bringing in specialist support where needed - for example copywriting, or illustrations. I work on a project or retainer basis and currently have approx 65% of my clients return within 3 months to work on further projects.
- Brand positioning and strategy, coaching and mentoring services
- Design and creative training and workshops (121 or group based, for individuals or businesses)
Also in development - and a major part of the business:
- Brand & Design Academy - Online training hub where you can take courses to work through the creative side of setting up, or developing your business - such as brand positioning, planning and execution.
- Creative Support Hub - a central online hub where users can access (via subscription) creative feedback, purchase templates, brainstorm ideas and pay for additional 121 coaching. There will also be marketing communications templates, social media and SEO advice delivered by my network of associates. This is aimed at start-ups and small businesses who don’t have the resource to have designers working on every project, and for new designers who want to build their portfolio under creative guidance. But also for clients who I have worked with and wish to continue to have access to my skills without paying the cost of a retainer. There will be group coaching calls, a supporting Facebook group and the option to buy additional support from me or the wider team.
Creative Stripes will also offer 5 new start-ups per year a 3 month subscription to the Academy and Hub, this is in addition to a 60 minute call to help them make the most of the resources and hub.
How can I support Creative Stripes?
We need your help to make this a huge success! The past two and a half years have proved the need for these services, and I have learnt what’s needed to deliver them successfully. There are several options for rewards to support our venture, these are offers such as reduced rates for design retainers and branding services. Your support will go towards investing in our technology and towards building the training and creative hubs.
What clients have said:
Flamingo Life - Kim Sprague
Choosing Lydia to work on my rebrand for Flamingo Life was 100% the right decision. Before getting to work she took real care to ask the right questions to understand my business, values and audience. Not only was she a pleasure to work but she delivered a brand identity, logo and brand guidelines that I’m really proud of.
Lydia has just designed a new logo for me and I love it!
It was so easy to work with her - from the detailed brief I had to complete, the discovery session, and the final tweaks and sign-off. Lydia instinctively has a way of understanding what you need and want - even if you’re unable to express it yourself. Every time I look at my logo I love it even more. Thank you!
Lydia I absolutely love all the designs!! Literally got a bit emotional scrolling through them. It’s something I’ve been thinking about all year and it was so good seeing them and they are so much more than I could have imagined lovely.
Roksana Hussein Transformation Coach
Lydia is a dream to work with. We have worked on several projects together, each time she takes my simple idea and through her step by step process, develops it into an impressive brand. She listens and interprets every idea to create a unique brand vision. She has guided me to shape the brand identity and shown me ways to raise brand awareness. She is very knowledgeable and an educator. I have learnt a great deal on branding from her. Along the way, she is encouraging, professional and reliable.
Dr Kathy Weston
I have always been highly impressed with how quickly she grasps exactly what I want to achieve! Lydia is hugely creative and a joy to work with.
Natwest Back Her Business Project
We are excited to be able to participate in the Natwest Back Her Business program. Designed to back female-led start-ups, Natwest will match whatever we raise pound for pound up to (in our case) £4,000!