Hi, my name is Sylvia Becker and crochet is my passion. I am the owner of a small business HookedOnCrochet.net and I am the founder of 'Crochet 'n Natter', a community group based in Eltham, South East London. I also work for various community projects in Greenwich.
The COVID19-pandemic affected my business quite a lot. In person crochet classes and workshops had to be cancelled or shifted into online classes, the community projects had to be set on hold and my community groups stopped meeting in person …
• It is an inexpensive way to be creative, you only need a hook, some yarn and some creative ideas.
• Crochet is a popular art, practiced over centuries (the origins are unclear but very popular in Europe since the 19th century).
• Crocheting has various health benefits, like reducing stress, practicing fine motor skills: with only knowing one stitch you can already do a great mindfulness exercise.
.... and of course ....
• You can create something beautiful and unique for yourself, your friends or your loved ones.
Also crocheting can increase someone’s social network. In a social group people can meet, can talk, be inspired and inspire others, which can enhance social abilities.
How can you help?
I am inviting you to buy a ‘ticket’ for your first crochet experience now, to be redeemed when in-person classes can start again, or use the opportunity to join in for an online class, the choice is yours .
By purchasing one of the below options, however big or small; not only will you be helping me continuing my small business, you will also help me on my mission: to spread the love to and the appreciation of crochet.
Buy now, use later:
£ 10 – a 30 minute online, or in person crochet session (1 on 1), can also be 'gifted'.
£ 20 - a 1 hour online, or in person crochet session (1 on 1), can also be 'gifted'.
£ 90 – a short course in crochet, in total 4.5 hours (1 on 1), can also be 'gifted'.
Crochet ‘n Natter
I founded this community group back in 2017, because I wanted to give something to the community and I wanted to spread the love to and increase the appreciation of the art of crochet to people who cannot afford paying for workshops and lessons or are looking for a way to socialise with others on a regular basis.
Until March 2020 I held two weekly free sessions and since then I host on-line sessions. During the sessions up to 20 people joined in from various backgrounds, the oldest member who joined on regular basis is 91 years, we have carers, pensioners, one member using a wheelchair ...
Since the end of March I offer a weekly online meet-up for everyone interested. These ‘Online Crochet & Natter’ sessions welcome everyone who is interested in (but not limited to) crochet. We share ideas, help each other and of course … natter. We have ‘regulars’ and member who check in occasionally. They are been welcomed and helped and help decrease isolation.
I decided to start a fundraising project because I my heart lies in this project. I want to continue on a free basis:
- online as long as possible, because it reaches a wider public, and
- as soon as possible again 'in person', making sure all the distancing and hygiene rules are followed (this might be in other locations than were we used to be).
Your donations will be used for:
1. Online classes:
• Subscription for an online video-conferencing platform
• Enhancing my equipment. I would love to buy a document camera to make it easier to 'teach' various stitches.
• 'Emergency' supply of yarn and crochet hooks for people in need. Also packaging and postage if needed.
2. In person classes:
• A 'free' cuppa for people in need.
• Venue hire costs (accessible, providing the space needed for following social distancing rules).
• Costs for sanitizing/ cleaning.
• Yarn and crochet hooks for people ‘in need’ (we will use yarn donations again, if it's 'safe' to do so).
• Printing costs for leaflets (so people can be reached who cannot use the Internet).
• Compensation for time and travel costs while organizing and running this project.
I would like to to continue to host at least 1 weekly online session and 2 sessions in-person of 'Crochet 'n Natter' on a weekly basis, as soon as possible.
The sessions are always open for everyone, who is interested in learning or improving a new skill (crochet), or just want to socialize.
I want to use crochet as a medium to connect the community and offer a free opportunity for people to come together and be creative. The participants are welcome to come for any number of sessions.
The in-person session will give the Eltham community the chance to join in arts/ creative activities and brings the community together.
I also want to try taking part in local events as a community. Last year we participated in a local festival with creating and displaying a wall hanging, which is later donated to Eltham Library. We also had a Christmas Sale and donated 25% of the proceeds to the local Foodbank. The rest we used to pay partly for our Christmas lunch.
During the sessions participants will be encouraged to share their (increased) skills with other participants and volunteer to help organise events/ sessions.
Your donation would really help me keeping and developing this beautiful project.
Thank you so much if you decide to support me. Your help is really appreciated.