Hi, I'm Kerrie. Let me tell you a little more about Cornwall Creatives.
Cornwall Creatives was set up to give a voice to the often undiscovered independent gems; to spread the word and become a genuine unbiased voice sharing Cornwall’s best bits and in turn providing much needed marketing support to independent businesses, creatives and SMEs in Cornwall. A blog brimming with strong ethics.
What makes us different to any other blog?
Due to my strong desire to make a difference in this industry, my journey with Cornwall Creatives naturally developed into a Not For Profit type organisation. Originally setting out to make Cornwall Creatives my main business in October 2017, I realised quite quickly that I didn’t want to accept money for sponsored posts for things I didn’t personally believe in or to charge for features on the blog as I felt my voice would be less authentic if I was being paid. My ethics were far too strong to compromise so I eventually re-evaluated and decided to do things differently. An ethical blog and a trusted voice helping the independent community in Cornwall because of my passion to do so not because of the monetary rewards. Yes, this means I have to have other ventures to pay the bills but it also means I feel truly happy with the direction Cornwall Creatives is taking, how it is breaking the mould in the blogging world and I’m excited to see how it develops with your invaluable support.
In just over a year we have achieved so much:
- A focus on sustainability - we champion the businesses that are taking steps to look after our environment. For change to happen we need to hear about these rock-stars!
- - A feast night aiming to achieve a physical meet up for the Cornwall Creatives community whilst showcasing fantastic independent businesses handpicked to provide each individual element of the evening. Avoiding awkward networking scenarios enables people that often work alone the opportunity to interact and make exciting connections with other creatives and the potential to work together.
- - Exposure and support for the businesses we have featured on the website: I meet with every business I feature to talk about what their business involves and as long as I answer yes to the 'would I recommend this to a friend' question I take photographs and write copy (all free). I then publish a feature or review which in turn brings increased traffic to the business's social media accounts and website and encourages the Cornwall Creatives audience to further explore the business being featured due to this trusted and unbiased recommendation, in short, we don;t just get the word out, we shout it from the roof tops.
- - Teaming creatives together; using the growing community of Cornwall Creatives we have been able to help bring people from different industries together, in turn bringing in work and further exposure. What can be achieved together far exceeds that of working individually.
- - Acknowledging the need for networking opportunities that don't scare people away, we now have a monthly meet up open to anybody, free of charge to come and make connections over a cup of coffee. We talk about successes and any issues and generally work on becoming more awesome. The idea here is not to exchange business cards but to exchange ideas. The outcome is already far exceeding the sum of its parts.
Why we're raising money:
To cut a long story short, we're developing as the go to trusted place to find out about the best people, places and products across Cornwall so it seems like a natural next step for us to include a hand-picked directory of local businesses. I envisage an easy to use and quick to access section of the site dedicated to helping locals and visitors alike find and support our hand-picked recommendations at the touch of a button; those independent businesses you may not otherwise hear about, the hidden gems, the businesses making a difference to our environment, from handmade jewellery to spas - we want to be the go to place to help you make your decision.
What is the money for?
As I mentioned, Cornwall Creatives is essentially run as a Not For Profit meaning I don't make any money from it or take a wage. When it comes to developing the website, the travel to businesses around Cornwall, the setting up and running of events etc etc this is all done by me, for free. To form this hand-picked business directory I have been working extremely hard on the Cornwall Creatives website to make it happen and it's really coming on. But now I've hit a hurdle; I need to pay for some plugins and upgrades to include the necessary features I need to make this happen. I don't want to do this half heartedly by releasing something that isn't very user friendly and hence nobody uses it, I want to make sure the features it needs to work well are included.
How much do we need to raise?
I need to raise just £560 for the add ons to the website, I know it's Christmas time and I've been reluctant to post this project because of that as it's already an expensive time but I've decided that with 2019 looming and individuals and businesses typically setting new goals for the year, launching around January time seems like the best time to help businesses set the foundations for a successful year. Because this is a hand-picked directory I can't use subscriptions for the directory as rewards for this Crowdfunder but I hope you'll find some rewards that suit you :)
£5 - a very big personal thank you for your generosity
£10 - a very big thank you and an entry to our exciting giveaway (this is a surprise giveaway where there will be 1 lucky winner!)
£20 - the very instagrammable organic cotton string bag to avoid any plastic bags whilst shopping (great for fruit and veg too or even a beach day!) short or long handle available in the beautiful natural colour.
£50 - a mention on our business directory supporters page (with your business logo and/or name)
£80 - an Instagram audit - I will spend time on your Instagram, analyse what's going well and what is not so good with tips and suggestions on how to improve. This focused work on your Instagram could see amazing results with the changes implemented, one business saw over a 100% increase in followers in just 7 days!
£100 - You're a Cornwall Creatives sponsor! You'll have your name and logo on our dedicated sponsors page for an entire year!