We've had confirmation from Power to Change that they will match every pound pledged to this project to a maximum of £6,000 so we would have a total of £12,000 to spend on getting the plans ready if we're successful!
4 years ago, a flood damaged the cafe and toilets at the Western Undercliff beach in Ramsgate leaving no facilities for anyone to use.
We want to rebuild and re-open the cafe and the toilets to encourage people to socialise and unite in the continued improvement and maintenance of this well-loved area.
The toilets will be easily accessible for people with disabilities and will also provide a changing places toilet.
We would be looking at reinstating a lifeguard to the beach as at present there are no lifeguard services provided, this would provide safety and give peace of mind.
This is the only commercial business in this area and the local council have stated that there will be no further development permitted and that this is the only opportunity for this essential service to be restored.
What we'll do with the money
In order to re-open the cafe and develop the associated facilities, we need to develop our ideas further to the extent that grant funders and Thanet District Council can buy into them as realistic and achievable plans.
We need to:
- Register our group a legal not-for-profit organisation to take the project further;
- Develop proper architects drawing of what the cafe will look like and will cost to rebuild;
- Develop a proper business plan and financial projections;
- Apply for grants to help us;
- Develop the documents for a Community Share issue to raise funds from local people who'll become owners and investors in the business on a democratic basis.
Who are you?
We are a local Community Group who have formed with the aim of renovating and restoring the area along the western undercliff, rebuilding and reopening an improved cafe and toilets, installing benches and getting lifeguard provision back.
If you can offer any help in this please contact [email protected]