THE STORY SO FAR ...
Cardiff Deaf Centre (CDC) is the cultural and social home of Cardiff’s D/deaf people and those that live within the surrounding areas. It is estimated 200-300 people from all walks of life, member and non-members make use of the building for social events, training, information, peer support groups, consultations, spiritual guidance and much more.
Many generations of families have used this building to meet with other members of the community, seek information, seek advice, worship, celebrate, learn and even meet their life partners. For over 40 years D/deaf families have utilised 163 Newport Road as a safe location where ‘All are Welcome’ regardless of their background .
Recently the centre has faced a crisis as a result of the economic turmoil of 2008. The building has fallen into disrepair over the years and, in 2013, the economic situation was impacting the provision of a cultural ‘home’ of the D/deaf Community. Knowing that this would have a devastating impact on the D/deaf community, several members of the community came forward and they sprang into action to rescue the centre from closure ensuring the continuation of a safe place for the D/deaf community.
Over the last few years ( since 2017) thanks to support and funding from various organisations, the trustees have made significant improvements to the exterior of the building including most recently improving accessibility with this beautiful access ramp.
WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED?
This welcoming facade hides a multitude of sins, with regards to the interior of the building and to bring the whole building in line with the needs of the community and build for the needs of the next generations of Deaf people we still need a lot of support !! Can you guess how much is needed to fully refurbish/redevelop the building ? Current estimates state approximately £750,000 ! And this is why we need your support .
SO , WHATS THE PLAN .....
Our vision is to provide a place where the D/deaf can meet with friends, family, colleagues, professionals and provide a hub for support, education, social activity, therapy and advocacy in a safe environment. Our goal is to be one of the leading organisations in Cardiff and beyond that strives for a
- more equal Wales,
- a Wales of cohesive communities
- vibrant culture where D/deaf, hard of hearing, D/deafened people, D/deafblind, disabled people and hearing people of all ages can communicate, understand and support each other
- provide an environment that seeks to support and to improve the wellbeing of all.
- Remove communication barriers between D/deaf and hearing people in order to facilitate the creation of fully cohesive communities in Wales.
START WITH THE HEART .....
Every home has a kitchen. It’s required,it serves such a distinct purpose. Having a functional and modern kitchen is truly a blessing. It helps turn meal preparation into a pleasurable activity amidst the busy hustle and bustle of life.
People invest a lot into kitchen upgrades because it is the most important room when it comes to the resale value of the home. A functional effective kitchen is an asset to any community building ,they have the ability to not only provide a meal but a complete experience for staff,volunteers and services users of the charity. We want to create an inspiring space can mean the difference between a mediocre day and a fantastic day for members of the Deaf community,a space that creates opportunity , a space that empowers, a space that generates income to improve sustainability of the charity ....And this is where we need your support
CREATING THE SPACE .....
Creating the right space is not just about a space that will provide good coffees and cakes , we want a Community Communication Cafe that will create much more.
The Communication Café will open up a selection of opportunities and make a difference to the many groups across the community, as well as providing the opportunities to generate income to improve the long-term sustainability for the charity.
The Communication Café will
- Increase the number of volunteer opportunities for Deaf people (People who are deaf/have hearing loss experience discrimination and barriers to volunteering/ work and further difficulties when accessing support to help them find work - In Wales, the issues of disability and unemployment are significant issues. Wales has more disabled people per capita and more disabled people in Wales are unemployed compared to other parts of the UK. In Wales an estimated 4% of the working-age population wear hearing aids or are profoundly deaf/have severe hearing loss .(Source : AOHL))
- Potentially generate employment opportunities for Deaf people
- Provide training opportunities within the hospitality, catering industry improving employment opportunities for Deaf people
- Provide training opportunities to boast self-confidence and improve self confidence,mental health and personal well being
- Open a social location that can be visited throughout the week reducing isolation
- Providing a communication location for BSL learners where they can practice language skills
- Giving people an opportunity to experience BSL – communication aids will be created so anyone can order food & drink in BSL
- A social location to host well-being sessions - including a Deaf Dementia Café where Deaf older people can feel comfortable, and be surrounded by their native language
- A location that can be hired for family parties, including christenings, funerals and other family events and generated income for the charity
- Potentially increase the space hire of other areas of the building as food provision is now available
- Development of a lunch club to provide support for the lonely, isolated or those with Dementia or mental health problems
- Opportunity for Mother & Baby Sign Café and a social location where signing can be experienced , learnt and practised.
- Develop other community initiatives where an appropriate community space is needed.
YOUR investment in OUR community.
We’re asking for your help to start our Community Communication Cafe ! Your crowdfunder donation will go towards ensuring that the current dilapidated kitchen space - can meet regulatory requirements and become a space that can fully support the Deaf community and offer opportunities to improve sustainability for the charity.
All income generated through any activity undertaken when the Cafe space is created ,will be re-invested into engaging the local Deaf and hearing community and meeting the needs of Deaf people in Wales.
Please note - we have to reach our target set on this crowdfunder to receive any of the money pledged. THANKYOU !