Why we exist.
- A third of UK adults haven't had a meaningful conversation in the last week (British Red Cross, 2020)
- Over 9 million adults in the UK are 'often' or 'always' lonely (The Co-op and British Red Cross, 2019)
- Disconnected communities could be costing the UK economy £32 billion every year (Big Lunch)
Conversation is at the heart of what we do. And that's why at chit-chat, there's a conversation for everyone. Labels shouldn't define you. Regardless of your gender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, background or interests, you can have a chit-chat with us. Everyone is welcome. Everyone's voice should be heard.
The power of a simple conversation should not be underestimated. chit-chat strives to keep the nation connected, emphasising the importance of community and belonging.
We're here to fill a gap in need in the UK and be the go-to place for a chat, providing people with a safe space for meaningful conversations, human connections and interactions.
At chit-chat, we aim to...
- Ensure everyone can have a conversation that suits them.
- Develop meaningful connections, bringing people together and reinforcing community spirit.
- Tackle loneliness and isolation head-on, promoting positive emotional, psychological and digital well-being.
- Leverage the power of volunteers.
chit-chat is a new, national non-profit organisation, creating a casual, inclusive and non-judgmental space for anyone to communicate about anything.
Our mission = To provide a platform for people to chat and interact with others, connecting the nation through conversation.
Our vision = To create a world where everyone has someone to chat to.
We're not your typical social enterprise - we were built from a bedroom in Blackburn during the global pandemic and we're here to do things differently.
A simple idea in late March, to being up-and-running 72-hours later, chit-chat is a true "start-up" story.
Our core service is the chit-chat LINE. Coordinated by our amazing team of over 40 trained volunteers, our anonymous phone-line is available to anyone wanting a chat. Any conversation is welcome, from our favourite movies, music and hobbies, to sport, culture and food. Whatever the topic, there's a conversation for everyone.
Our impact so far.
In our first 4 months, we have:
- connected with 120,000 people on social media
- chit-chatted to over 400 people
- trained and recruited 40 volunteers
- formed partnerships with care homes, locals councils, community centres, universities and places of worship to keep the conversations flowing across all demographics
- created a Board with over 200 years of collective experience, a Youth Advisory Board with 14 young people and a community of ambassadors
Here's what callers have had to say:
- "I live alone, so chit-chat truly brightens my day. Anybody can phone them while they are open and speak to someone who will listen and exchange views." (91-year-old retired school governor)
- "chit-chat brightened up my day. The conversation I had provided me with a much-needed outlet to talk about my concerns. I just completely switched off from work. It has given me a chance to sit down with a cup of tea and reflect." (35-year-old NHS worker)
- "I phoned the number and one of the volunteers answered; instantly I felt as though I was talking to one of my friends. Conversation flowed as we both shared different things about our lives. I realised this was what I needed." (19-year-old university student)
Join our mission.
We are only at the beginning of our journey.
We're social creatures and it's conversation that unites us all. In the increasingly connected world we live in, we still can feel so alone. For some people, weeks can go by without having a conversation. chit-chat can change that.
chit-chat is positive and proactive in bringing people together, breaking down barriers regardless of background and tackling loneliness and isolation.
What's the money for?
The power of meaningful conversation is phenomenal and together, we can get the nation chit-chatting.
- Build the foundations of our future - you can become a founding partner of a national not-for-profit, contributing to financing our telecoms system and crafting meaningful conversations across the country.
- Raise awareness of the chit-chat brand - thanks to your donations, we can create tailored outreach campaigns to reach those most in-need of a chit-chat.
- Adopt a chit-chatter - for just £125, a chit-chat volunteer can be recruited, trained and fully-equipped to have conversations for 6 months! One volunteer alone could allow us to have over 250 more chit-chats annually!
For more information, you can visit our website: www.chitchatbritain.org