We are asking you to support the creation of a high-quality CD of this Brexit musical for thousands of people to enjoy - to tell a story of the last 4 years -and another CD on 2020 stories "I Don't Beg Pardon" and as a result to generate profits for coronavirus charities.
Every contribution will be rewarded with CDs (and/or books if you prefer) , and in effect you will get a great discount as a reward for committing to support us at this early stage. (Please specify any preferences in your message as you pledge, OR in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org identifying your name and contact details and the date, time and amount of your pledge, as well as your preferences for rewards).
** Wherever we refer to CDs. if we can arrange copyright licensing of digital download then you will have the option of a digital download as an alternative to a physical CD **
Also, much of the content of the "I Don;t Beg Pardon" CD is either copyright free (e.g. Gilbert & Sullivan "Boris has Got a Little List ", "The Public Inquiry Nightmare" "Things that will astonish you") eg Noel Coward "The Extra Homes of Durham" or Shakespeare "The Seven Ages of Johnson". We also have recorded 9 very short "Lockdown Shakespeare" plays - how would the plays be under lockdown ?).
** You can contribute (and get a reward) later, but you will get best value by contributing early which will help our planning **
The £4000 target, if achieved, will provide funding for
1, Recording, mixing and mastering the " Brexit's a Musical Trick" high quality CD, including copyright permissions for the music, with songs such as "We Know what we're Voting for", "At the End of the Day we have Need of a Leader", "What have we here oh you Closet Remainer?", "Lovely Tax Breaks", "Master of the Spiel", "Labour People", "One Day More at Chequers", "A Little Vote of Pain" , "I Dreamed a Dream", "Empty Houses, Empty Benches", "Ain't it a Laugh?" and many more
2. A second CD, "I Don't Beg Pardon", with many of our popular songs from 2020, such as "Stand By Your Dom", "I Don't Beg Pardon", "Why why why Corona", "Boris has Got a Little List" , "Things that will astonish you (The Sentry Song)" , "The Public Inquiry Nightmare" , "The Extra Homes of Durham" , "Man Up, Mask Up", "Second Wave" , "Stay in Your House or Flat", "Barnard Castle (Dom's Ditty)" , "Onward Brexit No-Dealers" "Archers Against Brexit", "The Virus Cometh", "Ill with Covid", "Lords of Delight" and "A Song of Idiotic Prejudice" and many more.
(Exact contents will depend on copyright licensing, which will depend on how well the Crowdfunder goes, but many of these, e.g. the Gilbert & Sullivan songs, are copyright-free).
This sin;t quite "Coronavirus The Musical" as "The Sunday Times" referenced our work (2nd August 2020), but it's close! #CoronavirusTheMusical
Currently part-funding "Man up, up, mask up, protect another life" being recorded by a talented Bob-Marley-tribute singer who lives in a shack near Cape Town, as a song to encourage Black & Minority Ethnic Community to wear face-masks - song title suggested by "Masks Matter" Facebook group.
3. A pressing of 1000 total CDs initially, which will provide the products needed to reward all contributors and start to generate profits for charity.
That means that any further CDs that we produce or downloads that we can supply to meet demand will yield their full marginal profit (about 80% of the CD £10 retail price) for charity. The same will apply to downloads if we can establish this,
We will apply these funds to coronavirus charities overseas and in the UK such as
- Disasters Emergency Committee (DEC) *
- Action Aid
- Tear Fund
- World Vision UK
* I have worked on DEC projects in Sierra Leone (Ebola), Nepal (earthquake recovery), Kenya and Ethiopia, and so I know how well DEC works to ensure accountability and distribute funds quickly.
(Allocations to be made as funds become available, depending on urgent needs at the time).
It will also mean that up to 1000 of these CDs (or equivalent) will be in circulation, which will:
- inform and amuse 1000+ people for starters, and everyone they share it with
- unblock some deadlocked conversations
- solve some people's challenges as to what to buy as gifts for friends and relatives
- hopefully trigger plenty of conversations about the most significant political, economic and public health issues the UK faces.
And of course every CD listened to is another potential sale, raising more funds for charity.
And in a small way we are supporting the Arts,
Please bear in mind:
1. We will make the first CD ("Brexit's a Musical Trick", which is fully recorded, but needs to be mixed and mastered. The timescale may depend on progress with the crowdfunder, so may be earlier or later than the estimated date.
2.. Whether or not the second CD is made ("I Don't Beg Pardon") depends on how the crowdfunder goes.
3. There are a number of choices of Rewards. You don't have to make those choices now (though you can if you want). We can contact you just before we press the CD. (See point 1). If no preference is expressed, the CDs will all be "Brexit's a Musical Trick" CDs., Please specify any preferences in your message as you pledge, OR in an email to email@example.com, email title CROWDFUNDER-XX where XX is your pledged amount (e,g CROWDFUNDER-120). The email should identify your name and contact details, address, and the date, time and amount of your pledge, as well as your preferences for rewards)
4. In effect you are getting our products at a big discount by pledging early and being prepared to wait until they are ready. We will post progress updates and samples.
5. Every reward includes everything offered in the earlier rewards; there just isn't space to repeat it all. For example, everyone who pledges can have their name on our website and will be invited to the online (Zoom/YouTube) book/CD launch.
6. All books and CDs can be signed by Mike Cashman, with a message if you want. We will send them unsigned unless you ask for signed copies. Books will be latest editions at the time of despatch.
For more information and samples of some of the songs, see the videos of Mike describing the project on the "Brexit's a Musical Trick" Facebook page.
If you are pledging a large amount, you may want to know more about me:
- check out my career and recommendations on https://www.linkedin.com/in/mikecashman/
- working with Worldvision UK, Voluntary Service Overseas, and chair of Trustees of a debt advice charity in Milton Keynes; and writing books (200+ political satires, some seen thousands of times on social media) to raise funds for charity
- underwrote website & leafleting of Milton Keynes for coronavirus community support (80,000+ colour leaflets, £3000+) before covering most of this from a crowdfunder with another provider
- see my political expression by googling "Cashman letters Guardian" - ( I do write to other papers but it's just the Guardian that has published me lately); or hear me on Radio 4 Any Answers asking for better backing for coronavirus community support groups (mid-March) or calling for outcome-based planning of the coronavirus response in the UK (and therefore sacking Dominic Cummings) on 23 May; or in BBC Question Time audience late January in Harpenden commending Mit Romney for challenging Trump - or Question Time Extra Time same night on Radio 5 with a catalogue of Boris Johnson evasions; or just look at viewdelta.blogspot.com
- married for 39 years, blessed with 4 children & 10 grand-children within an hours drive
- lived in same house in Milton Keynes for 28 years
- my passion for truth in politics has the same root as my Christian faith, and both lead me to campaign against the deceivers
- using crowdfunder.co.uk for this appeal now because it supports rewards for people who pledge
If you are backing this project, thank you for trusting me; you can see from the above that I'm not going anywhere and I will see it to completion with your backing.