Bristol North Swimming Club is a friendly, local and inclusive swimming club based in North Bristol.
Since March and due to the Covid-19 crisis, we've been unable to swim. Swimming is a fantastic sport and we have over 250 local people of all ages who are like fish out of water!
We made the decision to stop collecting training fees for the foreseeable future. Not all local swimming clubs made this decision, however given that we could not offer full training and that we hold some reserves to see us through short-lived tough times, we still feel it was the right one. We also want to support our families going through tough times. That said, our reserves were not designed for a crisis of this duration and so we have been looking at next steps.
Based on current projections for a phased return to swimming later this year we are forecasting a loss of approximately £30,000. We've had to cancel our Junior Open meet in September which is a significant source of income, relied upon each year to support the growth and development of the club. We are also continuing to employ the services of our coaches to ensure that they are financially secure, still with us when we return, and to keep the fabric of the club alive by delivering online training. Unfortunately, our paid coaches cannot benefit from the Government furlough schemes. Finally, we will need additional funds to manage a safe return to swimming (e.g. more pool time to accommodate social distancing measures).
In short, we need some reserves to see us through this crisis.
The money raised will be used to keep our club alive, to retain our coaches, help build a club hardship fund to support members going through financial difficulties, and to get us back to the pool.
The good news is that Sport England and Crowdfunder have now launched a fund to help us. Importantly, the fund will double any contributions that we make. We have set a target of raising £5,000 by the end of June which if successful will then be boosted by Sport England to a final total of £10,000!
We are a hugely valued part of the Bristol community and hope that you will contribute to our project.
Many thanks in advance for your support (oh, and don't miss our rewards!)
Everyone who donates £10 or more will receive a free Bristol North drinks bottle (subject to stock). In addition, if you're able to donate the suggested amount for your squad*, you'll be entered into a prize draw!
The prizes* are as follows:
- Three months FREE training. There will be three winners selected at random from either Masters, Squads 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5.
- A one-to-one technique workshop with Head Coach in an endless swimming pool. There will be two winners selected at random from either Masters, Squads 1 or 2.
- A TYR Training Kit Bag (or equivalent). There will be two winners selected at random from Squads 3, 4 or 5.
- If you're in Swim Development or Learn to Swim, and able to donate the suggested amount of £20 you'll be entered into a prize draw to win a personalised Bristol North T-shirt.
Terms and Conditions:
- The recommended amount for your squad is the equivalent of one month of training fees.
- All club swimmers are eligible for prize. Including committee members
- Winning members will be drawn at random by Bristol North SC President
- Winners must be current members of Bristol North SC to collect the prize
- No cash prize equivalent
- Prize cannot be used to claim reimbursement against past training fees
- All other club fees must continue to be paid for the period involved e.g. Annual membership
- Prizes will be drawn by end August 2020