WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
Blend's mission statement is " to use the world of hospitality, food and cookery to make a real difference at a community level. To be a catalyst to improve health, life skills, employability and social cohesion".
Since beginning in October 2016, we have operated 'pop up' cafes and restaurants, street food events and specialty bistro nights across the city. These have provided training to over 40 people helping 15 move into paid employment from a range of challenging backgrounds and needs. These include;-
- asylum seekers
- people with diagnosed mental health conditions
- people with learning disabilities
- parents returning to the world of work
- the long term unemployed.
Along with this, Blend have developed a broad range of outreach projects in communities across Sheffield that have the greatest need. These range from our Children in Need funded family cookery workshops, volunteer training programme, slow cooker course (also providing free slow cookers to sheltered housing residents) and the in house 'Blend Skills' training. These projects help older people living on their own, families with primary school age children, asylum seekers and refugees.
The difference Blend makes range from the very tangible such as;-
- people gaining employment
- making positive improvements to their physical and mental wellbeing
- obtaining accredited qualifications
There's also much more to Blend and the difference we can make, such as;-
- people with learning disabilities increasing their skills and confidence, becoming part of a team and gaining a sense of purpose,
- people from different cultures coming together to share their history and culture
- people from the margins of our communities gaining a sense of social cohesion
WHY WE'RE CROWD FUNDING?
This summer Blend Kitchen is moving into new premises on 18 Pinstone Street, in the heart of Sheffield. Blend Kitchen will be a contemporary cafe/bar/restaurant open 5 days a week serving great tasting food and drink for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
The reason we're taking this step is;-
- to become a sustainable business, non dependent on grant funding. To stand on our own feet
- to create a setting where we can continually replicate the proven success we've had to date
- and before we forget.. provide the people of Sheffield with a top quality, unique independent cafe/bar/restaurant in the heart of the city
WHAT'S THE MONEY FOR?
We are seeking to raise at least £10,000 to fully fit out our open plan kitchen. This will be our 'engine room', and as well as allowing the creation of our breakfast, lunch and dinner menu, it will be right at the heart of our plans to fulfill our vision outlined above.
The money we raise will be used to buy everything from a cooker to the potato masher, from the sinks to the veg peelers, from the fridges to the spatulas and from the hot plate to the tea spoons.
We hope you can help in any small or large way to help us to create this unique asset for the city. Every penny will help us turn Blend Kitchen into reality and improve the lives of our fellow Sheffielders.