Blackburn Sports and Social Community Club Needs Your Help!
During lockdown our Club has had to cease all of its sporting and social activities, resulting in a significant financial hit. We are now calling on you - our wide community of players, members, supporters and friends - to raise funds for our Covid-19 Relief Fund.
Our usual income over this period comes from being able to host sports, social events, functions, various activities and of course run a public bar. Unfortunately, we were not eligible for any of the government handouts or any other grants, and bills have still had to be paid during this time. Because of the lockdown we have so far lost in the region of £100,000 of income from cancelled events, bookings and other income.
This is why we have put together a crowd funding campaign to raise funds for a Covid-19 Relief Fund. We hope that our community of players, members, supporters and friends can rally together and lift the Club out of its current financial uncertainty by helping to raise the ambitious sum of £20,000 within 4 weeks.
In an effort to make a real difference to our Club, we have enlisted the support of CrowdFunder to reach out to our wide community of supporters and friends through their crowdfunding website platform.
Please let all your friends and families know about this CrowdFunder page, including the many that no longer live in our area, but who enjoyed attending and playing at the Club over the years.
Let’s show what a great sporting community Blackburn Leisure Community Sports and Social Club is and help the Club through this difficult time.
Blackburn Sports and Social Community Club has been the centre of our community since 1930. It has provided everyone involved with many long and lasting memories.
An Overview of Our History
Blackies, as we are now affectionately known in the village started life in 1930 as the Blackburn Welfare Society
- 1930: On the 6th March 1930, the club was established under the name of Blackburn Welfare Society for the social benefits of the employees of the Blackburn Aeroplane & Motor Company founded by Robert Blackburn
- 1935: Land obtained on leasehold for use as Sports Ground – first athletics meet held on new site
- 1936: Squash section formed
- 1937: Official opening of bowling green
- 1939 – 1945: Factory collections during period of war provides over 14,000 parcels for British Aerospace employees in the services
- 1945: Sports Ground leasehold purchased
- 1946: Licensed Social Club erected on Sports Ground
- 1947: Motor Club organised first motorcycle race meeting on the airfield (0.65-mile circuit)
- 1948: First race win for Stirling Moss behind the wheel of a 500cc Cooper JAP at the Brough Aerodrome
- 1959: New club opened
- 1960: Aircraft crashes on old club building – 2 deceased
- 1963: Clubhouse extended to add billiard room and dressing rooms
- 1965: Car parking area tarmacadamed
- 1973: Function room built
- 1986: Sports Pavillion opened
- 1988: Brough Astronomy club started
- 1999: Site become part of the BAE property portfolio
- 2007: Welton Cricket Club moves to new location
- 2015: BAE discontinues financial support of the club
- 2015: Blackburn Social and Welfare Club Limited renamed to Blackburn Sports and Social Community Club Limited
It is difficult to overestimate the value of sports and activities in our community.
What seems to be merely recreational on the surface has a real effect on the lives of everyone involved. Recreation improves your mood, your concentration levels and your sleeping habits. It reduces stress and depression and, most of all, it brings people and communities together. It is a place where all are welcome: regardless of ethnicity, upbringing, gender, social status, religion or nationality.
This is made abundantly clear when you consider the diverse variety of sports teams that use out facilities.
Without Blackburn Sports and Social Community Club, our local community would be without:
- 5 adult male football teams and 1 adult ladies team.
- 30 youth football teams, including 7 girls' teams.
- Snooker and Pool
- Exercise classes including HIIT step, Zumba, Fitness sessions and line dancing
- Childrens soft play and Bingo
- Private function room hire for up to 300 people
- An established social membership of over 800 people,
What Will The Money Be Going Towards?
The funds raised through this crowdfunding initiative will go towards ensuring the financial sustainability of our club during the COVID-19 crisis, and onwards as we exit this difficult period. We will also upgrade existing facilities to provide better safety, security and disabled access to various parts of the site.
With the cessation of all activities and the closure of our clubhouse, we have lost over £100,000 (to date) in income since the start of lockdown. We urgently need funds to keep basic services running and to help modernise existing facilities. This includes:
- Reducing the debt accrued due to the forced closure of our premises
- Erection of security fencing to prevent trespass and vandalism.
- Adding disabled access to various parts of the site to make us more accessible.
- Refurbishment of old sports pavilion changing rooms and washrooms and upstairs to be a multi-use facility to many sections.
- Addition of signage and other security and safety measures to help meet government guidelines
- A social media marketing campaign to help relaunch the club after the COVID-19 pandemic and once refurbishments are completed
There is real uncertainty about the future of some parts of the site and without these measures they may well fall into disuse.
What Will You Get In Return?
Donations of £50 or over will receive free membership upon renewal for the following year.
Donations of £25 will rewarded with a £5 voucher redeemable at the clubhouse bar.
Corporate Advertising rewards available for donations over £300 around the site.
What should you do next?
Don't forget to spread the word! Make sure that all of your family and friends know about this site. Don't be afraid to share our effort on social media. And, most of all, please contribute (no matter how small, all donations will be really appreciated).