Saints in the Community are engaging more and more with communities in Perth and Kinross.
We use the draw of St. Johnstone Football Club to create positive outcomes for local residents aged from 3 to 93 years of age and, last year, we delivered over 1,000 sessions, attracting just under 20,000 attendances.
Our activities include but are not limited to; Show Racism the Red Card education workshops, Saints Kidz recreational & developmental football sessions, Onside employability and vocational training programme, Saints Academy INclusion Through Sport programmes for adults with learning disabilities or mental ill health, and Football Memories for adults living with dementia.
We were recently approached by Bertha Park High School to engage in a partnership where we could use our expertise to help provide an inspiring, motivational programme for their pupils.
The idea of BERTHA SAINTS was born.
Our UEFA qualified coaches would deliver football and healthy activity sessions on a weekly basis, helping to create a vibrant, effective learning environment, inspiring young people to develop and achieve their potential.
These sessions will benefit a wide range of pupils:
- those not engaging well in schoolwork
- those showing potential to improve their football ability
- those who would find it difficult to participate through poverty or inequality issues
- those who would benefit from more regular healthy activity
Every boy or girl involved, will be expected to give of their best, show respect, give maximum effort and display a positive attitude throughout the school year.
Early morning fitness sessions will prepare pupils for the school day and guest appearances from St. Johnstone players and coaching staff will provide extra motivation, creating an affinity with the local Premier League Club.
Following a specially devised programme and working in partnership with the PE Department staff, the funding will allow us to provide highly qualified UEFA coaches at the school, one day per week in 2020/21 and enable us to purchase basic equipment needed to deliver the project to the required standard.
- Motivate and inspire young people to be their best
- Achieve a measured increase in school attendance
- Increase engagement in school subjects,
- Improve physical and mental well-being
- Provide a vibrant training programme, creating positive pathways for any boy or girl with ambition to develop their skills