2 Day Court Hearing Dates Announced
Bedfordshire Against Covanta Incinerator (BACI) has been granted a 2 Day Substantive Hearing at the Royal Courts of Justice on 10th and 11th October.
Planning Court (Administrative Court), Royal Courts of Justice, The Stand, London WC2A 2LL
Over £24,000 has already been raised towards the legal fees to make this court case happen.
A further approx £27,000 is still needed in order for us to take advantage of this legal opportunity.
If we do not take the Environment Agency to task now over the Environmental Permit issued to Covanta in January 2018 - we will not have the chance again.
Fundraising Stages - more detail
• Lodging and Serving Stage - Completed
• Acknowledgement of Service/Permission Stage - cut short due to accelerated timings
• Substantive Hearing Stage - Current Stage - see diagram below
Judicial Review - Events so Far
-- In January 2018 The Environment Agency issued an Environmental Permit for the Covanta Incinerator. BACI had 3 months in which to lodge papers under Judicial Review
-- BACI reviewed all the documentation and believed that the Environment Agency had made some errors in its procedures in considering and issuing the Permit
-- With the help of the Environmental Law Foundation (ELF) - suitable Solicitors and Barrister were appointed
-- Our Barrister appraised our evidence to see if there was a suitable case for Judicial Review moving forward
-- A Pre-Action Protocol Letter sent (incl supplementary letter) to the Environment Agency laying out our concerns
– Reply from the Environment Agency received
– Responses from the Environment Agency analysed by the legal team to ascertain if there still was a case to answer
– Preparation of papers and lodging with the Courts – 25/04/18
– Serving of claim form and prepared bundle including grounds and expert/witness statements to The Environment Agency (Defendants) and Covanta (Interested Party) 16/05/18
– Acknowledgement of Service stage – AoS replies received from Environment Agency and Covanta but due to accelerated timings the bundles were moved forward to the paper permission stage
– Permission Granted by Judge to move forward to a Full 2 Day Substantive Hearing (received 15/06/18)
– Court Dates for 2 Day Substantive Hearing announced as 10th and 11th October
Monies pledged will go into the separate BACI Bank Account which is controlled by the BACI Treasurer and a second signatory who are members of the BACI committee.
Several methods of pledging/donating are available – please see https://bedsagainstincinerator.wordpress.com/ways-you-can-pledge-contribute/
If there are any funds left over at any point – this will be used either in the wider campaign (if this is still existing) for example air pollution monitoring equipment for the area – or another local project.
More Campaign Details
See https://bedsagainstincinerator.wordpress.com/ways-you-can-pledge-contribute/ for other payment details. It is extremely important that we now secure the necessary funds to take full advantage of this Legal Opportunity.
Like our Facebook Page to get regular updates at https://www.facebook.com/bedsagainstincinerator/
Follow our Website Page at https://bedsagainstincinerator.wordpress.com/
Join the conversation on our Facebook Group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/residentsagainstcovanta