Welcome to my project page! My name is Nicci. I am a Canadian Mixed Media Artist who creates colourful and playful portraits of which I call my “Girlz”. The Girlz are doll-like characters with bold features, and quirky (sometimes outlandish) personalities.
I think of myself as a whimsical Artist. Therefore I decided , that for my first self-published Art Tutorial book , I just had to pair my techniques and style with the ever whimsical and inspiring story of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll! I am inviting you to come along on a most wonderful art adventure with me!
I have been working in art journals for over 15 years and have loved every minute of it. “How else can you play freely, bare your soul, experiment with new techniques and practice, practice, practice….but in an art journal?”
If you are familiar with a long standing group on facebook, entitled 'Art Journal Junkies', that is another of my online community homesteads where I encourage others to create and inspire.
This first Art Tutorial book , Art Journaling with Alice (Nicci's Art Playground Vol. #1), that I am creating will be printed in a size that can go on art adventures with you: be it a cafe, a park or even a favourite room in your home. It will be printed in the convenient A5 size (5.8" x 8.3"). The cover will be a sturdy soft cover (perfect bound in 130lb matte laminated paper stock). The inside pages will be made with 100lb satin finish paper.
At this time, I plan to have anywhere between 72 and 144 pages. Since this is my first time self publishing, I will need to play with the book's layout and see what works best on each page for sizing and visual detail. I always strive to do my best and want to create a book that you will love and use to your heart's content.
Art Journaling with Alice will be a little different from other art tutorial books that you have seen. It will include links to my video tutorials that accompany projects found in the book. Plus, you will be invited to a virtual/online Mad Hatter Tea Party in the Spring of 2021.
What you can look forward to in your copy of 'Art Journaling with Alice':
- My favourite art supplies. Why they are my favourites and how I use them.
- The difference paper can make.
- How to sketch 'loosey goosey' and light. (under-sketching)
- Creating characters (sketching, painting & pushing creative boundaries).
- When to leave blank/white spaces. Where can I journal/write on my page? What can I write about?
- Reference photos.
- How to create a visual reference book.
- Paper cutting tutorial & examples. How they relate to the following pages.
- Layer Cake, how I build my mixed media paintings.
- Fat vs. lean (what products can & cannot be layered on top of each other).
- Using extra embellishments (embossing, die cuts, pockets and more).
- Colour theory and colour balancing on a page.
- Embracing the 'fugly' stage of your page creation, if & when it happens.
- 10+ page creation tutorials from start to finish.
- How to create interactive pages & why they can be important.
- A bit about me, what inspires me & my art.
- Colour swatches
- Technique Tips
- Art prompts
- An about page/invitation to my online world, The Art Playground (www.nicci.tv).
My goal is create a book that inspires you and is user friendly. I want this book to be one of your favourites of all time!
*** BONUS ALERT! *** The first confirmed order that comes in will receive an original mixed media painting from Nicci with their order (8x10 canvas board). This bonus applies to all reward levels. There will be one winner total and they will be advised during the month of September 2020.
- I want to say thank you for your live stream. First time in a very long time to feel connected. You are very fun!! ~ S.F. (July 2020)
- Hey, Nicci, I just wanted to so THANK YOU SO MUCH for going live and sharing your talent so regularly, frequently and candidly. It is so very generous of you and I am enjoying it so much. I have to say, you are my very FAVOURITE ARTIST to watch online these days. I love how genuine and real you are, and how ‘unedited’ you are. I’m hoping that by ‘hanging out’ with you I will become more creative. Even if just a little. ~ E.C. (April 2020)
- “I never thought I would be able to draw but by taking one of Nicci’s classes I actually made something I was proud of. It was also lots of fun and Nicci was very patient with all of us. I learned so much.” – Almost an Artist, Lorna (2019)
- Nicci created a well-planned and interactive Graphics Writer workshop for our grade three students. The students were engaged throughout the workshop learning the art, skill, and power of being a graphic story author. The students were proud of their success in writing their very own graphic story using this creative and fun skill. It gave them another meaningful and artistic tool to use when creating a story. Nicci’s talent sure rubbed off on our students! – Cindy K ~ Grade 3 Private School Teacher (2019)
- Nicci is a fabulous teacher! She was very informative about specific techniques and styles, and was thorough in her explanations. She provided great examples and detailed lesson plans for each class. In addition, Nicci was such a positive and upbeat instructor that I hired her to host my tween’s birthday party and it was a huge success! – Louise & Elliot (2019)
- “I just wanted to let you know that after your 31 Days of Halloween challenge, I AM a journaler now!! I have been wanting to do this for such a long time and was always intimidated. Because of you, I found my “groove” and love creating in my journal now which has become thick, lol. Thank you for sharing what you do and for helping me to be an even better artist! xoxo ” – Rhonda (Dec 2014)