Better Strangers Opera is a queer feminist opera company. We specialise in creating musical performances by, with and for women, LGBT people and other people who are often excluded from the medium.
We need money for our first showcase performance, Ah! Forget My Fate: A Complete History of Women in Opera (Abridged!). Part chamber opera, part cabaret, it offers a pithy and poignant overview of the duplicity, the daring and the many deaths of women throughout the operatic tradition.
We will use this funding to hire London’s Little Opera House at the King’s Head for the four nights of the show, and helping to advertise it. Any excess will be put towards taking the show on a national tour of fringe venues, and towards our outreach and education project in schools around the country.
The long-term aims of Better Strangers are as follows:
- To create opportunities for women in opera as performers, composers, technicians, directors, producers and other underrepresented capacities.
- To create opera performances that engage with feminist ideas and female audiences.
- To develop audiences of all ages, races, income brackets, sexualities and gender identities.
- To demonstrate the relevance of opera, as a genre, to a younger, politically and technologically knowledgeable generation.
- To create new operas and musical productions featuring strong female-voiced roles for a variety of voice types.
- To create an environment in which people of alternative subcultures, different abilities and body types are welcomed and encouraged to participate.
- Artistic excellence
To find out more, please visit www.betterstrangersopera.com.
To hear Claudia singing, click here.
To hear Jessie, click here.