Thank you for visiting our Crowdfunder page!
We are Green Croft Arts
Hello, we are Amanda Drago & Kit Haigh.
5 Years ago we bought Green Croft - a disused 18th century farmstead right on Hadrian’s Wall in Northumberland, left the city and became part of a rural community which has welcomed us warmly and inspired us creatively.
We created Green Croft Arts a not for profit organisation and we currently offer arts, culture and wellbeing activities to visitors and rural communities on the Northumberland/Cumbria border.
We are passionate about helping people stay active through creative physical activities and believe that rural communities should have the same access to services to support their physical and mental wellbeing.
What we currently do
We have over 20 years experience of leading physical and wellbeing activities working with countless community groups of all ages, abilities and backgrounds; inspiring, enabling and supporting them to stay fit and well.
Since 2018 when we created Green Croft Arts, we have integrated ourselves within our local community and have offered a broad range of physical activities such as Guided Walks, Singing Walks, Youth Dance Sessions, Adult Ballet, Hatha Yoga, seated Mindful Movement and Pilates sessions in village halls, schools and community spaces within Northumberland and Cumbria.
During the pandemic as well as continuing to lead online activity, we have been supporting our older and more vulnerable members of the community with digital skills training to get online, regular online coffee mornings, free online Chair Yoga sessions and free Chair Yoga DVD's helping them to maintain their mental health and physical wellbeing.
Our vision when we moved here was to create an accessible activity space that enables us to achieve our mission as an organisation delivering year round physical and mental wellbeing activities to our local rural communities and visitors to the area.
The Impact of Covid
The need for a dedicated activity space has become more urgent since the pandemic. Covid has had a massive impact on our organisation and the rural community we serve. We have an older population who are more at risk and have been isolating longer. Our community spaces usually run by volunteers have been closed for longer with some activities not returning. A lack of access to reliable broadband means we have higher cases of households being digitally excluded; not been able to work from home, homeschool or access online classes to maintain their health and wellbeing.
The development of the activity space stalled during 2020 and as we ease out of the pandemic Covid has also impacted on the construction industry. A national shortage of available building materials and demand on constructors' time are all pushing up budgets.
.. and this is where we find ourselves. We have been left with a shortfall. We have revised the plans to bring the barn into year-round use within budget, but many important accessible features have had to be excluded and this is something that we don’t want.
How can you help?
... and this is where we need YOUR HELP.
Your pledge will enable us to build an accessible toilet, pathways and parking, creating a fit for purpose building.
Your contribution, however small, will help us to make our fantastic barn a reality for local communities, national and international visitors and beyond, providing a valuable, versatile and inclusive arts & wellbeing facility for many years to come.
The renovation plans include
- Installing essential services; water, electric and drainage.
- Repointing the internal and external walls with lime mortar.
- Repairing and restoring the roof and roof trusses, slate tiles and stone tiles.
- Laying new floors including a semi sprung floor in the main space.
- Install windows and doors
- Install heating.
- Making the building fire compliant and visitor safe.
- Building toilet and shower area.
- Creating a bike store in the lean.
And most importantly and the bit that we need your help with is ...
- Installing accessible toilet
- Creating an accessible parking area
- Making level or ramped pathways to the entrance.
What we will be able to do
With your support we will create a welcoming space to offer inclusive activity that supports the health and wellbeing of our local community and encourage visitors to the area.
We will be able to host regular classes and workshops for our local community in
- Chiar Yoga
- Hatha Yoga
- Adult Ballet
- Walking Days
With a dedicated activity space we will be able to host more day activities for vulnerable groups outside the area. Working with other charities we will be able to reach those from lower socio economic groups who are not able to access the landscape through poverty or lack of transport.
This capital development will enable us to become a more financially sustainable social enterprise offering a year wide offer, giving purpose for people to visit the area and so supporting the sustainability of other local businesses.
Our immediate rural local community will also have improved access to services supporting those groups in most need.
Visitors with access issues will be able to connect with the landscape of the area as much of Hadrian’s Wall is inaccessible.
We are really grateful to our local community for their support in donating rewards for our Crowdfunder.
1. £10 Reward - A big thank you sent to you on a hand written postcard featuring Kit’s photography normally £15.00 www.kithaigh.com
2. £16 Reward - A great big thank you on a hand written postcard, plus a limited edition tote bag. Tote Bag normally £10.00 & Kit's photography £15.00 www.kithaigh.com
3. £23 Reward - You will receive a 5 Class Pass for any online yoga classes with Amanda. Discount of 10% on single class prices. www.greencroftonthewall.com
4. £25 Reward - A really big thank you on a hand written postcard, plus an exclusive CD album/download of Kit’s instrumental music available only to those pledging to this cause. Kit Haigh Bandcamp
5. £34 Reward - You will receive a 5 Class Pass for any face to face yoga classes with Amanda. Discount of 10% on single class prices. www.greencroftonthewall.com
6&7. The Lambing Experience & Farm Tour are unique one-off experiences not normally available to the general public and only for one family or couple per experience. They have been kindly donated by Sue Seymour, Moss Peteral Farm, http://www.mosspeteral.com
8. £195 Reward - Glamping Weekend in a bell tent. You receive a 10% discount for 2 nights in a bell tent based on 2022 prices.