Hello and welcome,
my name is Danielle De Vito Halevy, I am an undergraduate student at University College London going into my final year and from June 20th to July 20th, 2017 I will be working with Future Vision Acrobat in Gisenyi, Rwanda.
The organization was founded by an individual who, as an orphan after the genocide, learned acrobatics from TV. He is now providing other vulnerable children, many of whom come from struggling families or are homeless, with a space and method to overcome their difficult situations through training. He has not only given them a safe path to learn and grow but has taught them discipline and gifted them with a future no matter their background.
During my placement with this group I will take on a series of tasks:
- Conduct a documentary short film for Future Vision Acrobat's self-marketing, publicity, and international competition applications. As a group who does not have professional filming equipment and is in lack of funds, this is very important for their growth and presentation;
- Spoken and written English classes for the trainees who need to communicate with various contacts and who can then teach the children as well;
- Performance workshops and exercises to help with public speaking and voice projection as well as to develop teamwork skills, crucial in acrobatics shows;
- General health advice and talks to help create a safer environment and increase the children's awareness.
I will additionally conduct a research project on how acrobatics has affected vulnerable children which will be presented in the form of a documentary. I will then send the final film to a variety of national and international film festivals to share the story to a wider public. As an Arts & Sciences student at UCL, I have been given the perfect opportunity to integrate my interdisciplinary interests: medical anthropology, mental health, neuropsychiatry, documentary film and performing arts.
This placement will thus support my University studies and future career and, most importantly, will provide crucial social impact to Future Vision Acrobat, create a positive method of development initiated in Rwanda and spread the idea and story of one man's growth and strength.
The money will be used to cover the following costs:
- Flight London - Kigali return = 457£
- Medical insurance + vaccinations = 263£
- Accommodation = 232£ (8£ for 29 nights)
- Food and travel = 580£ (20£ per day)
Total = 1532£
With your help, I can make this happen.
Every penny donated will help cover all the expenses of traveling to and within Rwanda as well as my stay there. This will be a personal challenge and I am very excited to undertake it. If I am to surpass my target, all will be donated to the group and to help distribute the final film.
Your aid to me will be your impact on Future Vision Acrobat and the future they will form.