The money raised for this project will help to bring the past back to life. Wappenshall was first established in 1797 and was so successful that like Telford New Town it needed links to make successful. For the new town it needed the M54. For the area back at the beginning of the 19th Century it needed a motorway connection too. Back then the motorways were canals, so in 1835 Thomas Telford built and opened the Newport Canal to join the many canals in Telford via the Newport canal to Norbury Junction where that main canal network could be joined.
Since the canals were abandoned by Act of Parliament in 1944 Telfords 2 canals have remained largely unused. Wappenshall has been occupied by a coalyard and by a transport company who repaired lorries on the site.
The best of news now is that restoration work on the Wappenshall site has begun. Scaffolding is up and it is hoped that by sometime in 2021 the whole site will be open as a museum dedicated to Thomas Telford with a café, meeting rooms for local groups and companies and be a beautiful and tranquil site for all local people as well as tourist to visit and bring employment and visitors to this neglected part of Telford