Small Is…Festival – an uplifting, engaging and inspiring experience.
What is Small Is….?
Since 2009, Engineers Without Borders UK have worked in partnership with international development charity Practical Action, to put on an annual festival celebrating the ideas of the radical economist E. F. Schumacher. The Small Is…Festival enables people to share, learn and be inspired by sustainable living, international development and small-scale technology.
This year’s Small Is… will bring together experts, activists, students and the curious from around the world. Together, over one weekend, we will create, debate and innovate on issues that affect us all. Everyone is a participant- there are no spectators. Come prepared to roll up your sleeves and dive in to discover a world of new possibilities!
Why should I fund Small Is…?
Glad you asked. Well, Small Is...
• presents an inspiring synergy of art, music, development and engineering to a new audience
• promotes both sharing and learning from the global community
• gives prominence to excellent charities doing practical, life-changing work
• brings people together by catalysing new relationships, ideas and projects
This year’s theme is “Ideas from 2 million villages for a sustainable world”. We will be learning from inspiring communities around the world, from urban settlements to mountain communities to eco-villages.
This year the festival will take place in Bristol, a new direction for the festival and one that will build on the amazing community that already exists in the city- giving Bristol the chance to share cutting edge ideas and learn from others.
More than a thousand people will come together over the course of the weekend, in St George's Concert Hall in Bristol. They will be welcomed into this stunning venue with inspiring talks, practical workshops, challenging debates and thought provoking films amidst a colourful atmosphere of the best international music and food.
Why do you need my money?
Like the rip-roaring success of the last Small Is... we want this year's festival to grow from the bottom up. We really do need your support to help us build our festival, something we hope will be a place full of possibilities; a place to find out how to collectively shape the future of our world. Please help us to make this weekend even more magical by making a pledge.
With the money from generous Crowdfunders we will be able to:
If we meet the £5000 target...
• invite some truly inspiring speakers
• book some amazing local bands
• put on an eclectic set of practical workshops
• run a full film programme
• set the whole weekend in the stunning St George's Concert Hall and its grounds
If we meet the £7500 stretch target, in addition we will...
• book two international bands to play on Saturday and Sunday
• pay for flights for one international speaker
• bring film directors in to present their films and answer questions
If we meet the £10000 stretch target we will also…
• have the lectures filmed professionally, live streamed and made available to the public
• commission work from up and coming artists in response to the festival theme
• run our acoustic stage on pedal power
If you can’t give money, consider giving us your time! We’re always looking for volunteers…