Slanjayvah Danza celebrates cultural exchange, communication and friendships through dance, music, song and storytelling, pushing boundaries in the TRAD and folk arts by situating them within a contemporary context.
Our brand new signature work 6 Feet, 3 Shoes has been has been invited by Dance Base (Venue 22), to world premier with 14 further performances. As part of their own specially selected programme of works for EdFringe 2019, you can help us celebrate Slanjayvah Danza’s 15 year anniversary between 2-18 August.
About the work:
6 Feet, 3 Shoes is a celebration of friendship across borders, told through feisty percussive flamenco, Scottish and contemporary dance, with three dancers, exhilarating live fiddle and guitar. Dance, storytelling, humour, traditional foot stomping rhythms, tender moments and a good old giggle bring to life a true story that resonates across generations and cultures.
This brand new, heart-warming show by choreographer/dancer Jen Wren, in collaboration with musical director Amy Geddes and performers, integrates traditional Scottish dance and music with Spanish traditional arts and contemporary dance.
6 Feet, 3 Shoes is performed by 5 incredibly talented artists including: Jen Wren, Amy Geddes, Leticia Cabezudo, Charlotte Mathiessen, David Connah and Caterina McEvoy. https://slanjayvahdanza.com/about/current-artists/
Each of our artists have really invested in the cross the borders of the cultures, traditions and artistic techniques involved in 6 Feet, 3 Shoes which includes all the things we love and hope you will love too.
We have been really lucky to receive support to make the work but sadly, there are no grants to finance taking our work to the Fringe. We invite you to be our 6 Feet, 3 Shoes EdFringe Hero by making a donation to help us cover the finances involved.
We know it’s a competitive market and raising funds isn’t an easy job. However, we are hard-working optimistic folks who believe that not only do we have an opportunity to release a kick-ass never seen before show in an international dance programme but that with your support, we can do it without selling our souls to the devil (or the banks).
The full cost for this venture is £12,000. We are looking to raise between £6000 to £8000 which will help us fund artist accommodation, technical and PR support and artist meals.
In return for your donations, we have pledged a range of exclusive rewards to say our most heartfelt thank you for being our 6 Feet, 3 Shoes EdFringe Hero.
What people said during the development of the new work:
- The music, the dancing, the stories, so very emotive – I just can’t get it out of my head! I think you had at least half the hall in tears at one point and then stomping their feet, clapping their hands in other moments.
- People need a chance to see this….People who don’t go and see this don’t know what they are missing!
- Anyone who can get my 10 year old boy telling me he wants to learn how to dance has my vote! I loved it, the whole family loved it. Thank you for such an incredible experience and an inspiring evening.
- It was stunning. There were moments of complete awe, tears, hilarity and cheers.
- Oh wow! Such talent! Where else can you see Scottish, Spanish and Contemporary dance, live music, song and storytelling in one show?
Why on earth do you want to do this? (we hear you ask)
We are aware that the EdFringe is one of the most competitive artistic markets in the world but there are quite a few reasons that now is the right time:
- We have a brand new and exciting, let alone original work that we can’t wait to share.
- It’s an incredible opportunity to reach new and international audiences.
- Who in their right mind would turn down such an invitation from the national dance centre in Scotland - a fantastic venue for our type of work and a known venue where international program.
- Edinburgh is not far from our artistic directors' rural roots of Perthshire where many of the local people have supported and input into the work during its research over the last 2.5 years.
- We’ve never done it before!
- It’s also a really cool way to start our birthday celebrations don’t ya think?
All the artists are going to work really hard to make this the best experience for everyone.
Your help to launch our new signature work will be the best 15th birthday present ever!
Donations of any amounts are welcomed and remember not all hero work is about financial contributions so if you can’t donate, there are other ways you can be our 6 Feet, 3 Shoes EdFringe Hero!
Come and see the show and tell all your nearest and dearest to come too!:
Connect with us on social media on Slanjayvah Danza FB Page : Instagram : Twitter @Slanjayvah
Pass on the campaign to anyone you think would be interested in donating.
THANK YOU and we hope to be dancing with you soon!