New stretch target
By supporting us to hit our stretch target we can invest in more women change makers through the mentor a thon, increase the award size (which is currently approximately £2-300 dependent upon need, pitch and impact) as well as develop e-learning tools for people who are more house / enterprise bound and can't get to peer learning events so easily.
Women Supporting Social Entrepreneurs (WSSE) is a peer network supporting women to create the change they see needed in communities. We are asking for your help to invest in a '12 hour Mentoring marathon' and seed fund to invest in local women, network development and open access peer learning events for women change makers, innovators & entrepreneurs.
We are running a 12hr mentoring marathon in July and need your support to provide seed funding to promising projects. 50% of the money raised will be invested directly into the enterprise ideas of local women and the other 50% will support the development of a peer network offering training, mentoring, showcasing women change makers & events to inspire!
Help us enable women to aspirem flourish and progress! Your investment may cover anything from childcare, to equipment, marketing, admin support or travel costs - we will invest in those who can demonstrate best use of resources to develop themselves personally & professionally.
Why is this a great idea?
We tested this concept last year on Crowdfunder and we know it works! We now want to scale this to support more women change makers to give them a voice to influence, create impact and actualise their vision to create social change for the better through businesses, campaigns and projects. We have reach into communities across Greater Manchester and beyond through a network of over 200 women social entrepreneurs. Social Enterprise as a sector has long been a champion of gender equality we want to support and showcase the talents of more women as social leaders, innovators, campaigners and entrepreneurs. Through national research and our own local focus groups, we have found women lack of access to appropriate resources, training and support that accommodates personal priorities around care commitments and there absence of networks, role models and diverse mentors. Our project helps address these issues.
Plus with recent funding cuts and grant funding being difficult to find - as well as very competitive, we want to develop a model where those with less access and confidence to recieve grant funding can find ways to independently get their ventures and ideas off the ground.
How will we achieve impact?
- We have a dedicated and experienced team who meet regularly to plan and co-ordinate activities
- A monthly events programme has been informed and designed by women in our network
- We have a host venue for our 12 hour mentoring marathon or 'Mentorathon' plus women ready to get involved
- Through a collaborative, women led decision making process we have ability & experience to transparently re-invest
- We will match mentees with appropriate mentors and have so far brokered 32 relationships to date
- We are developing a range of on-line learning tools to help more women who are less able to attend events
- We evaluate the impact and share this learning back with our network and investors
What impact will your investment create?
- Over 30 women engaged in a 12 hour mentoring marathon benefitting from learning, new contacts and support
- 10-12 ventures will be part of a supportive, women led pitching event and have the opportunity to secure investment
- A programme of peer learning events to inspire, support and develop social entrepreneurs
- Support the ongoing development of a mentoring programme
What kinds of women and initiatives will your investment support?....
Last year we raised £2600 in 4 weeks and were able to invest this in a wide range of women including the following initiatives:
www.cowherds.org.uk/ - Vegan social enterprise cafe, Led by Paula Maguire (Salford)
www.platformmcr.org/ - Promoting youth leadership, Led by Beth Powell (Manchester)
www.abcdiagnosis.co.uk/ - Supporting people affected by breast cancer and secondary breast cancer, Led by Jo Taylor (Oldham)
www.wythenshawegoodneighbours.org.uk/ - GP Project supports older people through befriending an support Marie Greenhalgh (Trafford)
www.metmunch.com/ - a student network promoting sustainable nutritious food Haleh Moravej (Manchester)
-We believe that behind every great social venture there is a great woman.
-We believe in supporting women who not only give back their through their families and their communities, but who also invest in themselves.
-We believe in building trust, rapport and empathy to deepen personal development and enable faster and more sustainable progress
PLEASE DIG DEEP & INVEST!
We've an ambitious target this year to help us support more women developing initiatives with real impact who need this support to start well, thrive and scale their work. PLEASE HELP US, help them to create change! Whether £5, £50 or £500 any investment will make a difference - plus if you are interested in mentoring or being a judge on the investment panel get in touch! You can follow the campaign @WSSEGroup .
Want to get further involved?
There are loads of opportunities for you to get involved with the network as we move forward.
Look out as we expand on these opportunities over the coming weeks! To get in contact email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Do you want to be a mentee?
- Could you mentor?
- Can you help with planning and marketing?
- Are you able to offer in kind support, such as venue space?
- Are you willing to wear a mascot suit and run around Manchester city centre?? (Only joking.)