Did you know that more than 400,000 people experience food poverty per year and that 7 million tonnes of food are thrown away in the UK alone? Food wastage has huge long term detrimental effects and an issue that we feel should be addressed now!
This has been organised by a group BSc in Business Administration (BBAs) students past part of our Social Action Project.
To spread the message and make this event accessible to everyone, we have decided to make the event free to register and attend, and therefore kindly ask if you could fund our project to cover part of the costs for our event. We would like to raise £185 to cover the cost of hiring the theater where our event will be held. Our speakers have thankfully volunteered to speak, and our union are supporting us with tech resources for the evening.
Our speakers will be discussing different themes within the Food Wastage topic, they include;
- Baris Yalabik – is starting and introducing the topic and will look at the supply chain perspective
- Marco Formentini – will also be discussing the supply chain perspective and be talking about his and Baris’s research.
- Richard Fairchild will be discussing behavioral economics and how it links to food wastage.
- Margarida Dolan, good friend from the university sharing her personal experiences from her profession.
- Tessa Cook will be talking about her app, Olio, which is an app connecting neighbors with each other and with local shops so surplus food can be shared and not thrown away.
- Tasting Misfits - they create a marketplace for misshaped and surplus fruit and vegetables that would be normally rejected by the large supermarkets
- Miranda Khamis, a student at Bath has recently set up FoodDrop and talking about her future plans.