New stretch target
If the project over-funds I would put these funds into use by adding another event in Sunderland (£900) and/or professional photographers fees (£600).
The Quiet Compere
Sarah L Dixon runs regular Quiet Compere events in Manchester. She hosted a medical-themed poetry event at Cheltenham Poetry Festival in 2014. Sarah is presently touring the ten poets x ten minutes format nationally, after a successful tour of the North in 2014. Quiet Compere events enlist established poets and emerging voices.
The Quiet Compere introduces them with little fanfare, so the poems (and not the poet's track record) tell you all you need to know.
In 2016, The Quiet Compere is going to team up with art galleries and museums. She will commission local poets to write pieces about the art-work or collections (Commissioned themes for 2014 and 2015 were Volume and Space.). Having been successful in bids to Arts Council England in 2014 and 2015, she is keen to pursue match-funding through local councils, galleries and museums (as well as through the crowd-funder) to strengthen her bid for 2016 funding through Arts Council England.
The Quiet Compere blog is here:
Tour Dates for 2016
1) Swindon Poetry Festival - Friday 7th October 2016
2) Wolverhampton Art Gallery - June 2016 - date TBC
3) Whitworth Art Gallery - Thursday 4th February 2016
4) Stubbing's Wharf - Hebden Bridge - April 2016 - date TBC
Quotes from 2015 Tour:
Adrian Mealing, The Very Grimm Brothers and UK Touring (tour company for Roger McGough, Ian McMillan, Andrew Motion and more):
"You set a little powder keg under the palm tree and encourage the evening's castaways to light the fuse. It's perfect. You're terrific. You do a lovely job. My, but you work so hard and affectionately at this game of the imagination." (Worcester Performer).
John Darwin, Host of Write Out Loud Sale and member of Firm of Poets:
"Quiet Compere nights have a rare and lovely gentleness." (Halifax Performer)
Quotes from 2014 Tour:
Rosie Garland, Performance Poet and March Violet:
said of Lead Poets, my former night: "No fuss, no flashing lights. Warm, friendly and clique-free. It is a rare thing." (Manchester Performer)
Carole Bromley, Editor of York Mix, author of (most recently) The Stonegate Devil (Smith-Doorstop)
"Sarah's creative energy and enthusiasm are legendary. She encourages and gives a platform to fellow poets. Where would we be without her?" (York Performer)
Charlie Jordan, DJ at Smooth FM Drive-time and Decadent Diva:
"Your attention to detail is stunning. From flyers to payment stuff, thanking us all, photos and the blog too." (Birmingham Performer)
- Crowd-funder rewards: £800
- Performer and Co-host fees: £1440
- Flyer, printing and other promotion costs: £170
- Venue hire and tech fees: £150
- Transport: £130
- Planning, market research, ticket and venue liaison: £675
- Host/Compere fees, thanking, blogs: £950
- Photographer fee: £250 (if over-funded)
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery: £300
- Swindon Poetry Festival: £250 (including accommodation cost)
- Whitworth Art Gallery- £300
- Predicted ticket sales: £500
Any over-funding will go towards making a fifth event happen.