The Folding Boat

The Folding Boat is an art project by Nic Acaster, by recycling a disused wooden fishing vessel into a sculpture / installation,...

The Folding Boat is an art project by Nic Acaster, it incorporates a salvaged wooden boat (fishing or working vessel) between 20-30 ft. in length, which will be decommission and reassembled as a working sculpture, incorporating sustainable recycling ethics and a new interpretation of traditional craftsmanship.

the finished piece will be a representation of the boats life, where it has travelled from, how it has been shaped and used by recycling a disused wooden fishing vessel into a sculpture / installation, initially to be based in Hastings with view to travelling to costal regions around the UK.

The project will incorporate Nic's own experiences at sea and a depth of craftsmanship, collating all her skills as an artist.             

the aim of this project is to allow the audience to question sustainability, what happens after their purpose, strength, and time has come to an end, how they can be re-purposed, thus evaluating how we as humans behave and consume our environment when our lives are so full and busy, and to question how detrimental this consequence is to what happens next.... 

the sculpture will consist of at least 90% of the boat, but recycling the remainder 10% elsewhere. the' Folding Boat' will be  built and exhibited in  Hastings, then potentially exhibited in other coastal towns around the UK