We have set three aims for the Festival, these are:
- Bring together some of the best Puppetry artists in the UK to create a family friendly event in the heart of Stone. This is a unique experience that will offer a different dimension to our summer programme and will entertain the residents of Stone and the local communities.
- To help stimulate the minds of our children in the summer holidays and engage with the local schools by holding puppet workshops with the children based on the curriculum they are studying, as well as bringing some end of year activities to life in the festival parade.
- Finally to support the High Street and Stone as a place of interest to the wider community. The festival is being staged right in the heart of the town, we want to show that Stone is a vibrant place to live with much to offer, from fantastic bars and restaurants to our local stores selling everything from ironmongery to holidays.
About the project
The idea for the Festival started with a chance meeting with David Leech.
We got talking and after a while he mentioned that he worked as a puppeteer and puppet & toy manufacturer and that he had an idea of bringing a Puppet Festival to Stone, we discussed this and I thought that it sounded like a good event that would bring some entertainment to the Town.
So, after a few weeks of meeting together, we arranged a meeting with Adam Jones the proprietor of Granville’s Brasserie and invited a representative of the Town Council, as well as the Chairman of the British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild. After a successful meeting, everyone agreed that this sounded like a feasible idea and we set the ball in motion moving this forward.
We have had great support from the Town Council, A Little Bit of Stone and the Stone and Eccleshall Gazette.
After many months of meetings, planning’s, ups and downs, we now have in place the following:
- Venue in the Crown Hotel to hold shows (Gruffalo, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland)
- Use of the High Street to hold shows (Punch and Judy, George and the Dragon, Puppet Circus...many more)
- 4 Schools involved
- A full itinerary of free and chargeable shows
- Opening Parade and closing event
- Interactive events such as Puppet Making
- Thunderbirds and other Puppet Exhibitions
Why are we Crowd Funding?
David and I have spent many weeks fundraising and negotiating reasonable fees with all the performers and suppliers by obtaining the very best rates we can.
There has been significant personal funding from both the organizers and generous donations from a number of companies and other individuals. We are also trying to raise money by other means such as Raffles and Ticket Sales but we do need to ask the community for some financial support.
If we can raise £4000 or more, we can make this an affordable event. The shows on the High Street will be free of charge, the exhibitions will be free of charge and the performances in the hotel will be at prices families can afford.
By pledging even just a small amount, not only will you benefit from one of the many exclusive rewards on offer more importantly you will have contributed to a unique and highly creative festival experience that will bring many benefits to everyone who attends, participates and to the town as a whole for a long time to come.
In the Press
Are articles and interviews can be found on the following:
A Little Bit Of Stone
Our Website and Facebook
Look out for these in Stone and the surrounding Towns and Villages.