St Ives Bay Music Therapy Clinic

A pilot project for music therapy service to provide sessions to children and families in the St Ives bay area of west Cornwall, UK.

Project aim

A pilot project for a community based music therapy service to provide sessions to children and families in the St Ives bay area of west Cornwall, UK.

About the project

I am a music therapist living and working in west Cornwall. It has now been 8 years since I qualified and I have become increasingly interested in integrating systemic family therapy ideas and techniques into music therapy practice. I am fortunate that my work is supported by Cornwall Music Therapy Trust (http://www.cornwallmusictherapy.org/) who have generously supported 75% of the cost of this pilot project. The remaining 25% will be raised through community fundraising and donations from clients attending their sessions, if their circumstances allow. 

The project has been running since January and is due to finish in June, so far I have worked with two children and their families. Two more families are beginning their sessions and one is currently on the waiting list. Music therapy offers a safe, fun and playful method of self expression and allows families to explore ways of communicating and begin to make positive changes in their lives. One client from this pilot project has shown a 40% reduction in his difficulties, which really shows the amazing impact music therapy can have! 

The £200 we are hoping to raise will contribute towards the 25% community fundraising target for this project and successful completion of this pilot will enable a funding bid to be submitted to continue and develop this work over the next 12 months. 

Thank you for reading and for your support for this work.