To promote walking as a positive tool to manage mental health and wellbeing. Reduce isolation and loneliness experienced by single parents. It’s a chance for single parents to be a part of a positive proactive community with like minded single parents, which will as a result of the peer support, aim to reduce stigma. Making a lasting difference to their lives by being involved in the group and getting them involved in exercise and exploring the difference this can have on their mental health. As well as providing peer support and long lasting friendships.
Our target is 100,000 steps in a year. Where we will explore many places all over Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan.
Organised on weekends and bank holidays, when it has been expressed that this is the loneliest time for single parents. It is also a way of engaging working single parents as the majority (66.5%) of single parents are working.
Research has consistently shown that single mothers have roughly three times the prevalence of depressive episodes compared with other groups, Tragosz et al, 2003.
People living in poverty, people who feel stigmatised and those who are isolated are at higher risk of developing mental health problems, and evidence shows that single parents are more likely to be exposed to these negative factors, as they are twice as likely to be living in poverty than coupled families (DWP 2014 Households below average income 1994/1995- 2012/13. Table 4.14ts), experiencing isolation and feeling stigmatised (The Lonely Society, 2010, MHF Lone Parents’ Mental Health and Employment, 2012, University of Bath).
- Establish rambling groups in 5 regions of Wales, including Cardiff, Vale of Glamorgan, Swansea, Monmouthshire and Pontypool.
- Engage 200 new single parents into the rambles, in which we aim to raise awareness and increase the wellbeing of, by promoting exercise as a way of managing mental health and
- Train, engage and support for 10 volunteers for the rambling groups, including SPW training and First Aid Training, Leadership Skills.
- Develop a single parents ramble pack so that others areas can set up rambling groups
- Develop a centralised link for all of the groups, online Social Media platform
- Coach trip to the Brecon Beacons to all climb Pen-y- Fan at the end of the year
- Build links with partners in various areas to promote walking as a healthy way to manage mental health
- Set up volunteer peer support group for all of the volunteers