This invaluable project is to raise money for Sheppey Age UK, to pay for the process of converting our bus for wheelchair use, an extremely important service for the community.
About the project
There has been a charity supporting older people on the Isle of Sheppey since 1947. Originally established as an Old People’s Welfare Committee in 1947 to deliver firewood to heat homes, the charity has kept up with times becoming Age Concern Sheppey in the 1970’s and Age UK Sheppey in 2014. Affiliated with Age UK, we are an independent charity with 100% of our funding being spent on delivering services for Sheppey residents. (we as a charity are funded by the local community including KKC)
We no longer deliver firewood! but provide a number of services for all older people on the Isle of Sheppey including:
- Free information and advice - for the over 50s
- Hot/Frozen meals delivery service (Monday to Friday)
- Help with cleaning and other support in people’s homes
- Social opportunities at Rosemary House in Sheerness
- 9 am to 3 pm Monday to Friday. We provide a freshly cooked midday meal and activities.
- Transport to the centre, including wheelchair users
- Trips and outings
- Monthly Coffee and Memories Morning - for people and their families dealing with Dementia
- Social opportunities at Roxeth in Bay View:
- 9.00 – 3.00 Tuesday to Friday (as above)
- Lunch/Afternoon Club – light lunch/tea on Mondays 12.30- 3.30
- Trips and outings, on Mondays
- Sheppey Friends – volunteer befrienders visiting service
- Chiropody - appointment only
- Wheelchair hire
- Volunteering opportunities
Why we need the money
Loneliness is a huge issue affecting many older people all year round. Loneliness has a big impact on people’s mental and physical health which has been estimated by Age UK as harmful as smoking 15 cigarettes a day. We need funding to transport people to our centres when they have a warm welcome, can socialise, have a freshly cooked lunch and to take people on trips and outings throughout the year. Our vehicles, which include tail lifts for wheelchair users, travelled 33,000 miles in 2014/5. We are rasing funds for the process of converting our bus for wheelchair use and to brand our logo and contact details on the bus.
What your funding will provide:
- £5 funds a return journey to one of our centres for one person
- £5 funds the delivery of a hot meal to someone’s home
- £12 funds a home visit for someone seeking information and advice
- £25 funds 5 return journeys for a week or a special day trip.