I have a JustGiving Page that I have set up for those who wish to donate directly to the charity 'Think Pacific'. See link below:
This crowdfunder page has been set up to raise funds that will support me with affording the cost of the flights to Fiji. It is so important to me that I hit my Just Giving Target, above all else. The funds that I raise directly for the Think Pacific Foundation will go toward buying new resources for the children, their schools and their communities
BUT, as this is a voluntary expedition, I can't do it all alone! The funds that I raise HERE will help me to fund my flights, so that I can personally go to rural Fiji and help make a difference, first hand. With YOUR help, I can raise the money not only for the charity itself, but to go out and get involved with teaching Maths, English and Sports to these less fortunate children. 1/3 childen in rural Fiji live below the poverty line. When I found this out, I was shocked - I had no idea!
I will be living as part of a Fijian family for one month. It will not be luxury. I will be sleeping on the floor of their family hut, showering from a bucket of water, trekking each day to and from school to teach. For one whole month, I will have no access to electricty, nor will I have wifi, and 'luxuries' such as fresh drinking water will be much less accessible than I am used to. I will be experiencing a glimpse of the life that these children are forced to live every day.
It certainly won't just be about me teaching them - They will also be teaching me! I will learn a whole new culture and a whole new livlihood, and I honestly cannot wait. I hope that I have as much of an impact on them as I believe they will have on me.
I do hope that you can help me raise the money so that I can get out there and get involved in helping these children where help is most definitely needed. Please share this, tell your friends and family about this project and the good that it will do for so many Fijian children and families. And if you can, Donate! Donate to my Just Giving page, first and foremost. But if you can spare a little more to help me with the cost of the flights, I will be so grateful.
If I manage to raise more than the cost of my flights, all extra money will be sent to the charity (this is why my target on this page is higher, with hopes that this will be the case).
If I raise less than the cost of the flights, I will use my own savings to pay the difference. I am organising cake sales and offering dog walking services etc., over the course of the next few months so that I can to save up as much money as I can on my own. But I will still need some help!!!
Below is a lot more detailed information about my voluntary exedition (taken from my JustGivinig page).
- Many people are not aware that over 1/3 of children in rural Fiji live below the poverty line.
- Schools in remote areas of Fiji have a severe lack of teachers, teaching resources and many families struggle to meet their daily needs.
- A cyclone, which took place in Fiji in February left over 200 schools damaged or destroyed entirely. There is a severe lack of teaching resources and communities have also lost their farms and sustainable livelihoods.
- Over 75% of children currently do not have access to fresh water or proper sanitation.
Why I wish to contribute:
After hearing about the needs of Fijian children and the great work set out by theThink Pacific Foundation I decided to take part by raising awareness, vital funds and volunteering for this amazing cause. I feel that I can make a real difference on this project by teaching and delivering youth programmes, which are set out to lift these children out of poverty.
Think Pacific is a small charity, who are in partnership with the Fijian Ministries of Education, Youth and Sports and Health. They are providing resources for children, making a sustainable difference and helping to re-build communities and schools devastated by February’s cyclone.
What will I be doing?
I will be supporting Fijian children who are living in the poorest and most vulnerable areas, by teaching them subjects such as Maths, English and even Sports. Due to the severe lack of teachers and teaching resources, these subjects may not otherwise be available for these children.
- Think Pacific run kindergarten programmes, improve children’s literacy, increase access to fresher water, sanitation and access to health, build schools and use sport as a means to increase children’s social skills, confidence and self-esteem.
- They are recognised as a key partner for the Fijian Government in their task to provide opportunities for future generations of children living in the remotes villages and islands, and they achieve this through delivering university volunteer projects.
Over 1/3 of the money I raise on my JustGiving page will be used directly to provide long term support to children, from purchasing books, stationary and school resources to sports equipment and helping the charity fund teacher training for locals, and achieving building projects in areas most badly impact by the cyclone.
Thank you for your time,