Paracarnival is a fast growing exceptionally diverse community of artists, performers and enablers whose highly inclusive programme of creative, therapeutic and educational workshops and legendary carnival performances engages and unites people of all backgrounds, ages, abilities and vulnerabilities.
Since our debut at the Thames Festival in 2010 we have enjoyed a steady increase in our membership and in the volume and quality of our productions - achieving levels of inclusion and integration unprecedented in the history of Notting Hill Carnival. Each year doubling the length and outreach of our programme which this season runs for six months - beginning in mid June, follows the Carnival calendar and finishes with the New Year's Day parade 2016.
This year we are aiming to:
1. employ upward of 27 artists, performers, enablers, young carers and youth trainees.
2. deliver 108 creative workshops at 9 venues London wide offering:
* dance, movement, physical theatre and capoeira
* BSL choreography and word free choir
* music and percussion
* circus and street arts
* costume making, float & scenic construction
* facilitation and care skills
3. engage upward of 250 participants made up of:
* children of all backgrounds including those with additional needs
* members of the deaf community
* vulnerable adults including: wheelchair users, users of mental health services, people with brain injuries,
dementia,cancer,visual impairment, those marginalised by mainstream society and independants of all variety
* ex offenders, reformed alcoholics and addicts
4. go for gold and optimum exposure with spectacular performances at Notting Hill Carnival, Hackney Festival
and a host of local stage, cabaret and street performances and celebrations throughout London
5. work with: Kids Company, Wildbunch, Incloodu, Mencap, LGBT, Paracarnival soiree, Dementia Friends, Heart & Soul, Scope, Headway, Teenage Cancer Care, Starpad Club, Age Well UK, London wide Centres for Independent Living, Ruff Diamond, Bath Carnival, Shuffle Festival, Whitechapel Gallery, See Through Theatre, Late Night Shop, Get Creative, Paraiso School of Samba and many more
"we are all members of each other"
Our approach is natural and egalitarian - focussing on the unique value, self expression and fulfillment of all the members of our community.
Our workshops are always joyful and highly productive - everyone having a real place and playing a part in the creation. At the heart of Carnival we perform as one with great energy - constantly cheered on and encouraged by our vast audience. On stage we offer top class entertainment with new levels of audience participation and friendship.
For many of our members the Paracarnival programme has become a lifeline - fostering well being, self-reliance and a tremendous sense of achievement. We engage and support young carers and their families as part of our youth training scheme which combines the arts and disciplines of Carnival with care and facilitation skills as well as employing the creative, organisational and promotional skills of our members.
With this in mind we are aiming to run a full year programme for 2016
£2000 will pay for :
* 10 creative workshops in music, song, dance and costume making
* costumes, rehearsals and Carnival performance for 20 participants
* special needs transport
and confirm match funding for our 2015 Arts Council application.
We are keen re/upcyclers and very economical so all our income goes a long way and is effectively used.