Pampisford Road Allotments are located in South Croydon. Pampisford Road Allotment Society are raising funds to construct a woodland walk nature trail comprising of a 100m path through and existing wooded area. The nature trail will inlcude bird boxes, bug hotels, hedgehog homes, a wildlife pond and an apiary. The nature trail will be available to use by plotholders and their families as well as the wider community. We are currently engaging with a numebr of local schools who are keen to use the area once it is complete.
The nature trail will provide a number of benefits to the community.
- It will ensure that the wooded area is reserved as an area for wildlife rather than being used as a dumping ground for rubbish and weeds.
- It will enable the local children and members of the community to learn about wildlife and nature.
We are also planning to construct a structure to use to use as a learning area for the nature trail, as well as providing a sheltered meeting place for community events. We currently have one building which we have outgrown that is used as our Distribution Hut, Office and Meeting Room.
This willl provide us with much needed extra space that is sheltered from the elements making it a lot easier to hold community events which are always at the mercy of our unpredictable weather when having to be held outdoors.
The allotments have a great community spirit and are used by a range of people from young families to senior citizens. We also have plots being used by the Young Offenders service and a Community Payback Team doing their community service on Sundays. The national autistic society have also had a plot in the past.
A covered meeting area would provide space for us to use for a multitude of purposes.
- As a classroom and enable us to engage with local schools and youth groups to learn about nature and get children involved with growing their own food.
- A place for our Allotment holders to meet in the autumn and winter for a cup of tea and a chat.
- Somewhere to hold competition for best veg, flowers, etc.
- A shelter for us to serve soup on bonfire night.
- A space to prepare food and provide extra shelter when we have BBQs and our open day.
- A meeting room for committee meetings and our AGM.
- A place to meet with new green plot holders to brief them about the allotments.