Please help Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin to raise £2,000 to support a vital service which is keeping hundreds of older people in Shropshire active and involved in their communities.
The Living Well project provides activities for older people such as walking football, singing, Zumba Gold, dancing, reading, and craft groups. We also have pub lunch clubs and afternoon teas where people can get together for a chat over a bite to eat. The aim is to improve physical and mental health as well as reducing loneliness and isolation. Last year, we had over 7,000 attendances!
It provides people with the chance to make friends and socialise, learn a new skill and get some exercise. Research has shown that those people who stay active in older age are likely to enjoy healthier and longer lives. This preventative approach to the issues associated with growing older has shown to reduce falls, hospital admissions and pressure on GP services - as well as most importantly making people happy!
"I have something to look forward to during the week. I no longer feel so lonely and enjoy the laughs we have together." Mrs K, 86, a regular member of our singing group. "Coming to class motivates me into going out. Sue is so welcoming and caring." A Living Well participant. "The Walking Football has proved very helpful in terms of exercise, fitness and social interaction." Brian.
Why we need your help
Due to a lack of resources, we cannot meet the high level of demand for our Living Well service. We know there are many lonely older people who would benefit from taking part in sessions but we can't help them unless we can raise the money we need. A small charge for the activities generally covers the cost of the tutors and venues but we also need to fund a co-ordinator who plays a vital role by:
- researching with older people to identify what activities they would like to do
- organising taster/trial sessions
- identifying and supporting tutors and venues for activities
- supporting volunteer leaders
- promoting a wide range of activities for older people
- encouraging and supporting older people to participate
- ensuring the activities provided are open and accessible to older people
- signposting older people to our other services if a need is identified
Please make a donation today and support the Living Well project. Your donation will help hundreds of local older people to stay independent for longer by being active and feeling part of our community.
Thank you for your help!
About Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin
Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin has been working tirelessly for 65 years to enable older people across the whole of Shropshire to love later life.
More than 800 volunteers and a staff of 200 provide vital services to help older people combat loneliness and isolation, make informed choices and live independently.
Services we provide include:
- free information, advice and advocacy about a range of issues affecting older people many of which are related to money matters.
- Help at Home - support workers visit over 1,000 clients and provide 80,000 hours of practical support for older people in their home so that they can remain independent for as long as possible. Services include cleaning, gardening, shopping, laundry, ironing, collecting prescriptions and dog-walking.
- Our volunteer Befrienders who visit over 350 lonely older people every week and our telephone buddies ring around 100 people every Monday.
- Living Well which aims to improve both the physical and mental well-being of older people.
- A team of committed volunteers who take over 100 older people, who cannot go on holiday alone, to Llandudno for a week every year.
- Our 40 OPEL (Older People Enjoying Life) day centres which are crucial for supporting older people who feel isolated in their communities.
- Our Diamond Drop In Centres which provide a fortnightly get-together for people with dementia and memory difficulties, their families, carers and friends.
- Care Navigators who work in GP surgeries across the county, while other staff work in the North and South Shropshire inter-disciplinary teams supporting people to remain independent and preventing avoidable hospital admissions.
For more information about Age UK Shropshire Telford & Wrekin and the services that offer go to www.ageukshropshireandtelford.org.uk or call 01743 233 123.